Understanding planning process

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have submitted my plans into the council for approval, they will be approved soon but what happens next?

So i take it will get a call that the plans have been passed, then what? can i just start work or does anyone else want paying, ringing etc? I have no idea of the whole planning process as its my first extension.

I understand that when ive dug the footings the building control will come out and make sure they are to spec then expect £x? for the all visits upfront, then i understand they come in at different points to check the work.

The bit i dont understand is when planning is passed is there anything else to do before i start the work??

I keep looking at the garden and im itching to start digging it out before the weather gets bad. What would happen if i just happened to dig some holes before the plans were passed?

Sponsored Links
When your planning approval document arrives you need to check whether they have imposed any pre-commencement conditions. These will be worded something like "No development hereby approved shall be commenced until...". These must be complied with before you start works on site otherwise you run the risk of invalidating your consent. For an extension its usually no more than submitting sample materials to them for approval - some authorities dont even ask for samples and merely state they should match the existing property. You'll need to check once your decision notice arrives. If you do need to submit information to them to discharge any conditions you should note that they will sting you for another £25.

Regards

Rob Duncan

There are two stages; planning and building regulations. Don't confuse the two they are different. If your planning is approved you then need to apply for building regulations. There are two ways to do this but for simple extensions the simplest method is usually appropriate - that is known as a bulding notice application.

Download the forms from your local authority website. Fill out and submit. You will need some drawings - the ones with your planning application are probably suitable. You pay on submission. You will then get an acknowledgement which has a number. Quote that number when you contact building control.

It is your responsibility to inform building control that you have reached certain stages of work. They will normally visit the next day and check the work. If all is well they will give you the go ahead to move on to the next stage. First inspection is normally the bottom of the foundation before you pour concrete.

Many many thanks for the advice.

Ill check with my agent (the guy who did the drawings) as part of his cost was to deal with all the paperwork but i wanted to check what the process was so i know whats going on. So he could apply for building control soon after submitting the application and before planning is passed (the plans are going though 110%)

So he should of sent plans to building control, then would they give me something in writing to say go ahead?

Im ok with the stages to start with, 1) visit when footings dug 2) visit when footings filled 3) visit when brickwork starts to go up? then i dont know.

Sponsored Links
Many many thanks for the advice.

Ill check with my agent (the guy who did the drawings) as part of his cost was to deal with all the paperwork but i wanted to check what the process was so i know whats going on. So he could apply for building control soon after submitting the application and before planning is passed (the plans are going though 110%)

So he should of sent plans to building control, then would they give me something in writing to say go ahead?

Im ok with the stages to start with, 1) visit when footings dug 2) visit when footings filled 3) visit when brickwork starts to go up? then i dont know.
Without wading through Freddie's two links (which are very interesting), and amplifying what Jeds said, you can make a Building Control Notice application with a simple drawing (NOT a detailed construction plan) just so they can see what you're doing. They will then tell you all the stages at which they want to visit; you go ahead and give them notice to come at each stage when you get there - my BCO will come the same day if you call the office before 10.00am.

Don't be worried, go for it!

(The other method , if you want to provide a detailed construction plan upfront, is to make a Full Plans application and they approve all the details in advance but as Jeds said, this is not appropriate for small projects.)

What nobody has mentioned though is that doing it on a Notice is great if you know what you're doing, potentially disastrous if you don't. Judging by the OP's questions thus far (no offence OP) a Notice may not be the best approach here ..........

No offence taken as i know nothing at all about any of this process.

The extension in building is about 30 sq meters (18 downstairs 12 upstairs). I have full plans detialing all parts of the extension, i will also be getting the calculations from the structural engineer for the RSJ's etc.

I have rung my architect yesterday and he said he fills the BC forms and submits whats needs but it costs me £160 (leeds city council), then they will write to me with the next stages and fee's. So i dont know with method he is going with but its part of my package.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back