Validity time for planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that planning permission, once granted, is valid for 3 years. Is my understanding also correct that once you start even a small part (of a large project that was approved), there is no expiry date by which you must complete the work?

So could I for example, only build the porch now and build an extension in 10 years time (as an extreme example) without any issues with the council or complaints from someone else? Does the planning permission (when the project has part started) pass on to the next owner of the house?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
As long as you and the local authority can agree on what constitutes a 'meaningful start' ;)

I guess a giant rear single storey and large porch at the front as wel as front front elevation changes. But the roof replacement and loft conversion several years down the line (if we end up doing it).

Sponsored Links
Does the planning permission (when the project has part started) pass on to the next owner of the house?

Thx.

Permission is nothing to do with ownership - it goes with the land. You could even apply for permission to build a house in your neighbour's garden, or the middle of a motorway

...although I'm not certain which certificate you would sign. D presumably - but 'all reasonable steps'?

It could be a B - all you need to do is serve notice on the highways authority that you intend to build a house in the middle of their motorway.

I did say "apply".. I didn't say "gain consent for" ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back