Undertaking TRV and lockshield valve change on system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This weekend I want to change all the manual valves and lockshields on a property I have just purchased. I have the TRV,s and new lockshields and will drain the system (recently cleaned with x800) but no inhibitor as I knew this was the next job to do.

Pipework I believe is 15mm but could be 1/2inch is this going to cause me an issue. Would like to use the exisiting nuts and olives or should I replace as a matter of course? If I am to replace nuts and olives do I need to sweat a new piece of pipe on where the old olive has gone into the pipe? Any tips for removing old olive?

I would like to get everything I could possibly need before attempting job as local merchants are half day on Saturday. Ps will leave the rad in the hall where the thermostat is as manual valves.

tks

Sponsored Links
Use original nuts and olives. Just ensure that with the new valves that the olive seats before the pipe bottoms in the valve. If neccessary you can cut off a piece of the pipe with a junior hacksaw. On reused olives I would also use some idiots tape. Half inch/15mm compatible

Don't agree with that. A new piece of pipe and a fresh olive for me.

Sponsored Links
I've seen too many leak. Do it right - do it once.

Any professional would expect to use a new valve including the nut and olive.

Only cowboys trying to do a cheap and quick job would use the old ones!

An olive remover can be used but seem to be rarely used by professionals as they usually manage to get them off somehow.

If the old olive has been overtightened and squashed the tube then the tube should be renewed.

Tony

Whats wrong with a quick and cheap job. Appart from the fact that it takes less outrageously chargable time. Or is it just a lack of confidence.
Cowboys indeed! Such egotistical opinionated conceit.

Whats wrong with a quick and cheap job.

I charge £15 each to supply and fit lockshield valves. Thats in addition to a fixed price to drain and refill with inhibitor.

But at that price I expect to replace the whole valve because I only like to do a professional job. When I am a customer I also expect a professional job too!

I see many valves which have been replaced WITHOUT replacing the nuts and WITHOUT discussing whats to be done with the customer. I consider those people are cowboys! Nor do I usually hear that they were done cheaply. The Polish plumbers usually always seem to do the job properly too!

Tony

Any professional would expect to use a new valve including the nut and olive.

Only cowboys trying to do a cheap and quick job would use the old ones!

An olive remover can be used but seem to be rarely used by professionals as they usually manage to get them off somehow.

If the old olive has been overtightened and squashed the tube then the tube should be renewed.

Tony

I saw a vid somewhere of someone sliding a wrench fast along the pipe, so striking the olive right off. quite clever, and no need for an olive puller, whatever that is.

Thats usually all thats needed!

If not then a hacksaw to CAREFULLY cut the centre of the olive takes about three min. Thats why few professionals seem to bother with an olive puller ( or cutter ).

Tony

Looks like the correct job is to change all. Will establish what the best course of action is when I starte the job. Will make sure that I also have on hand some 15mm copper end feed couplers do I need to concern myself if any of the pipe tails are imperial.

Tks

Decided on doing the proper job in the end. Started Sunday evening first radiator no great dramas. Second one could not budge the tail, ended up splitting the hex head bit inside the tail but managed to remove the threaded portion by cutting it with a receprocating saw and then picking out the remaining. Stopped at this point, and decided to get the stepped wrench, what a difference all other tails removed quickly with no heat required. Moral in the story is if you are going to tackle this jop then ensure you have the correct tool. I had the allen key version but it didnt fit so tried the brute force and it cost me a couple of hours time, recommend the stepped wrench and has paid for itself already.

Thanks

But did you fit the new nuts and olives?

Or did you do a cheap jobe as Snug apparently advocates?

All new, nuts ,olives and tails, just need to find an old style bleed screw as I lost one during the flushing with a hosepipe outside :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back