undo a cast iron rad leaking bleed valve that will not budge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bleed valve is screwed in fully but the little hole underneath still leaks water, so i assume it needs replacing the only problem is is that it will not budge. i have tried every spanner, wrench and mole grips i have but it will not shift!
Can anyone give me some ideas to try and remove it?
Heat does not work either

many thanks

Sponsored Links
You state that you have tried the application of heat to try and budge the
vent valve body. ? Have you attempted this procedure with the radiator empty? If not, have a go at that and let us know how you get on.

wiggikins said:
You state that you have tried the application of heat to try and budge the
vent valve body. ? Have you attempted this procedure with the radiator empty? If not, have a go at that and let us know how you get on.

Hi there i drained the rad and took it outside and heated it but to no avail and the nut is getting more round shaped then a hexanganonal nut now :eek:

Greetings,
How about filing a couple of "flats" on the rounded off hexagon,applying heat until cherry red and then trying again .If this fails i don,t really see an alternative to drilling and re-tapping the vent valve.

Sponsored Links
Plusgas ........ & a gooooooooood long soaking wiv it ........... Stick some cotton wool (See the Mrs, failing that check out the bathroom cabinet) around it & try keeping it moist ........ Overnight would be good....... If that don't do it ........ Ya in the Poo :confused:

plusgas.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back