Uneven and bulging concrete floor. Sulphate attack? (with pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure how to handle this and its the first thing I need to decide on before doing anything else! I have recently acquired a 1960 Derby based house from my parents and understand that is has an issue with sulphate based hardcore / ground floor.

Underfoot the floor feels obviously un-even with some ridges and bulges, (it has been like this for the last 20 years with very little change according to my parents) I've not seen the actual concrete as there are still floor tiles down. There doesn't appear to be any problems with the walls. No cracking or bulging etc.

I've knocked on a few neighbours doors, they all seem aware of the problem and some have had it replaced. Any replacements were done in the 1980s, no one seems to have had it done more recently..

The information online is fairly confusing, some people recommending core samples and others saying that they are a waste of time.

I guess my options are to have the floor dug out and replaced or leave it, level it off the best I can and hope there is no further reaction or it doesn't move.

Anyone have any advice or dealt with this before?

Attachments

• P1040937.JPG
    P1040937.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 667
  • P1040940.JPG
    P1040940.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 828
  • P1040946.JPG
    P1040946.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 483
  • P1040951.JPG
    P1040951.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 675
  • P1040952.JPG
    P1040952.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 891
  • P1040954.JPG
    P1040954.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 428
Sponsored Links
Another point is the floors are different in the house, the white tiles (Lounge and dining room) are onto concrete with a think bitumen glue.

The hall and kitchen look like there is a 15mm layer (asphalt) so assuming some work has been done previously and it wasn't built like this..

Edit: Didn't have a level but the bit of wood is fairly straight!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back