BULGING CERAMIC TILES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a ceramic tile floor fitted onto concrete in my kitchen about 12 years ago. They have just started bulge - as though they are under some sort of pressure. Around 12 are no longer attached to the floor and bulging upwards. The grout is starting to crack. I've removed a small tile and the adhesive is attached to the tile and not the floor. The floor seems to be sound, flat and dry. What could the problem be? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
might be the concrete floor is "crowning"

most likely if mixed rubble was used instead of clean hardcore - if it contained plaster, or some furnace waste, it will expand over time. Some soil types can cause the same thing. A local builder or surveyor wil probably know as it is likely to affect hundreds of similar houses in your area.

Sadly it needs to be broken up, dug out and relaid.

the problem may be the same under all your concrete floors.

If you are "lucky" it will just be a water leak building up pressure under the floor, and it will need to be broken up and dug out, but maybe not the entire floor.

Thanks for your comments JohnD.

However, the concrete floor looks good and dry.

The bulging effect seems to be within the tile/grout as they have lifted off the floor. Could it be that something has caused the grout to expand?

John is quite correct unless.....

Its just the adhesive losing its adhesion for something quite tame and unlikely to cause a problem again if treated properly. . Had a similar problem two houses ago...I removed all the loose tiles and a couple around them for good measure. Cleaned, properly primed the concrete, and used the best grout and adhesive I could find. Moved out 3 years later and at that point everything was a solid as could be. Might be a cheaper cleaner solution to at least try as a first go ?

Sponsored Links
Hi I wondered if you managed to resolve the issue of bulging concrete floor as I am having similar exprience in my kitchen

JohnD's advice sounds spot on. But it could still be a moisture problem that just isn't visible. You could hire a simple moisture meter and run it over the entire floor to see if it picks up any differences where the damage is.
If is dosen't, at least you can rule out any potential leaks underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back