uneven ceiling beems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i am new to this site , and this is my first post . i have pulled down the old ceiling in my living room , unfortunately after a quick survey of the beems it seems that a few have dropped on one side .i want my new ceiling to be as flat as possible . i have drawn a level line on the worst one , and it has dropped 20mm , obviously planing it back level is tricky because as it has only dropped on one side and goes from 0 to 20mm over a 3mtr distance because of this a router is out of the question too .i have tried jacking the offending beem back up , but this disturbed a lot of other beams .so any suggestions would be gracfully received.

Sponsored Links
You need to find out why it's dropped and correct that problem first. Could be rotten joist ends? Maybe the joists aren't deep enough and have sagged? What are the ends of the joists resting on?
It may just have been installed shoddily. 20mm isn't too much though, you could get some 4mm ply or hardboard and cut strips to build up the other joists, so they end up in line with the lowest one.

....or you could fix timbers along side the existing allowing them to sit slightly lower (and level) then fix your ceiling to these.

Seems a wee bit ott, but hey we all have our little idiosyncrasies.

firstly thanxs for the help . the beams are in mint condition and are sat on a surporting internal wall .i can only presume that the house has over 60 odd years simply just settled low on 1 side .as for the aplying new timber this a brillient cure and may be an option , my only concern is the cost as this would need to be done to approx 20 beams at 13 ft in length. but if that is the only cure then so be it the ceiling will be down for a cpl of weeks while i use the opertunaty to sort out some wiring for lighting etc.. so any more surgestions would be helpfull .i apologise for double posting this , i was unsure what forum catogry it fell into

Sponsored Links
So it's the timber joist that you are fixing the ceiling boards to that are uneven, but in sound condition otherwise?
It could well be a matter of packing them out with some timber fillets or slaters lath.
So you need to determine, which joists are level and work from the lowest point, then address the rest.
Do you intend to plaster or joint tape the ceiling as plastering will allow you to pinch a bit of the uneven surface back.
Out of interest are the floor above level or do they dip?

to be honest , to try and stop future cracking of the new ceiling i wanted to fix a double layer of plaster board, and yes the upstairs floors are affected by the low beams .and yes i do intend to have the entire ceiling taped and plastered .hope this helps with your diagnosis .many thanx

If you use 2400x1200x12mm boards, this will reduce joints in ceiling, remember the joints should be staggered.
12mm will reduce any sagging too.

Why don't you get yourself some acro props, and planks, tighten untill level or straight, wedge or fix where possible should do the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back