Uneven chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a garage converted. A raised timber floor with insulation and chipboard has been fitted.

Ive just noticed the floor slopes down approximately 13mm over 5 metres.

This is just within NHBC guidelines (3mm per metre up to 6 metres).

The original garage floor sloped so the frame was packed out but its still sloped.

Is there any issue with this small drop? Or anything to consider?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Is it too late to jack it up level?
All the insulation and chipboard is fitted now, i mean it slopes down gradually like i say about 13mm over 5 metres, all the boards look nice and flush with each other and i cant see any raised bits or anything so flooring should be okay surely?

Yes I would think so but you will just have to adjust the level of anything that requires it.

Watch them like a hawk, if they can't get that right how are they going to manage the rest of it.

Watch them like a hawk, if they can't get that right how are they going to manage the rest of it.
They have done an absolutely fantastic job so far and i genuinely couldent fault a thing, and ive had lots of different tradesmen in my house.

Lol.

Find something else more pressing to worry about like the washing up or the wobbly bird table. (y)
The only reason i was bothered is because the likes of LVT flooring says no more than 4mm over 3 metres, or is that actual lumps in the floor etc rather than a gradual slope?

Our kitchen floor - from the 1930's had a 50mm drop over maybe 3m
whne we replace all the suspended floor we found if we leveled from the door way at the HALL end - which we could not alter - level it was above the threshold on the outside door on the other end
So all had to be slooped to match up the three doorways and then the kitchen units fitted - it looks fine - you would never know without a level on the floor - even the plinths are fine as set back and narrow kitchen so dont really notice and i dont look to be fare - its functional and looks great

We fitted quickstep flooring , with the best underlay they had, didn't even look into the spec to be fair - its been down now since 2018 ish and seems fine

That's to do with floor surface (texture) and more immediate humps and hollows.
Ah brill good to know, i didnt really want to raise an issue as they have done lots of extra bits for me no charge and they are nice people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back