Floating Floor (Insulation & T&G Chipboard) - Sand v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be installing a new floating floor in my garage conversion and looking for some advice on how to go about this.

The existing garage floor is approximately 140mm lower than the remainder of the house. The garage floor is fairly level (i.e. not sloped towards the garage door) but does have a few dips, primarily around the perimeter.

I will be installing a DPM, 100mm PIR (Celotex) and 22mm T&G Chipboards. However, how should I make up the additional 18mm of height?

Should I flatten the existing floor with an 18mm bed of dry sharp sand (or kiln dried sand)? Or should I pour some self levelling compound down?

And where should the DPM be inserted?

Sponsored Links
We are trying to decide on our floor structure within our garage conversion. The existing floor is concrete, lower than the rest of the house and sloped. The highest point of the floor is 200mm lower than the rest of the house.

The above was your post Sunday just gone.
To-day your floor has risen by 40mm and leveled its-self out.
Tis making me scratch me ar8se, if nothing else.
Regards oldun

I was waiting for someone to quote that :). Only today did we create the knock-through and took an accurate measurement between the two spaces. Hence, not enough space for screed as we previously thought (and mis-measured the height difference). Having now drawn a line around the entire perimeter, we can see there is a slope in deed, but considerably less that we previously guesstimated, so much so that you may as well call it 'flat'.

Apologies for the confusion.

Sponsored Links
Any chance anyone could answer my few questions please :)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back