uneven floorboards due to subsidence - how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for cross posting from woodwork forum - should have posted here!

I have a problem with uneven old pine floorboards.

I'd like to take up the floorboards and relay them because there are large gaps between them and some are broken (I've read the posts on filling gaps but I'd like to give this method a go). They are quite characterful but bordering on knackered. In addition because of subsidence (which is not live according to our survey) one corner of the room is lower than the other. Can I attach fillets of wood to the joists to raise them to a level height and then attach new/recycled floorboards as usual? Are there any problems that anyone can see with doing this?

Also, I've heard that it is possible to relay floorboards so that they run parallel to the joists (I'd like to do this so that the floorboards all run the same way throughout the flat). Is this difficult/tricky to do? How does one do it?

many thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Hi

Yes you can use fillet pieces to level up the floor. Just cut down some pieces the width of your joists and level them up. Best to cut a few different thickness fillet pieces and then chose the best to level the floor. You can just pin through the fillets to hold them in place.

To lay the flooring with the joists you will have to put noggings in between the joists and fix them through both sides of the joists. You can then fix the flooring through the tongue into the noggings.

Hope this helps

Coggy

Thanks Coggy!

Re running floorboards the other way -

I assume if I'm trying to recycle (some) of my existing floorboards which don't have tongues I can just nail down the boards in the usual way - I guess then I'd have to fit each noggin to make sure it was in the right place for me to nail through to!

cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back