squeaky floorboards

jmh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I know lots of other people have posted about this but I'm still unsure how to proceed. I live in a 1930s block of flats. I'm on the second floor. When I moved in 10 months ago I immediately took up the carpet in my lounge and bedroom and sanded the floorboards with a sanding machine. From that moment on I have had a series of complaints from the lady living beneath me. She finds the creaking/squeaking floorboards unbearable and insists that there was no problem before I took up the carpet and sanded the floor. She is becoming quite manacing and demanding to know what I intend to do about it. I have tried putting down a big, thick rug with thick underlay but she reckons that it's hardly made any difference. The floorboards in my lounge are a lovely cherry oak wood, about 7cm wide and very close to each other, practically touching in some places. I would follow the advice that has already been posted about removing the nails and putting screws in instead but the nails are knocked right in and I have no idea how I'd pull them out without destroying the floorboards. In my bedroom the floorboards are pine and about double the width with gaps inbetween but they still creak like hell. Talcum powder is unlikely to help because of the big gaps. The boards are slightly warped and I think that is causing the problem.Is there any way of solving the problem of warped floorboards?

I'd be grateful for any advice you can give me as it's only a matter of time before she makes an official complaint (again).

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I recently read somewhere, not sure where :eek: god I'm getting old now!, of a guy who put a damp proof membrane between the joists and the floor boards, this stopped the creaking at it offered a form of 'lubrication' to the mated surfaces. It does mean lifting the boards however. If care is taken then there is a good chance you can lift them without too much trouble. Though you will need to remove the skirting and possibly some plaster if it goes all the way to the floor.

Hmm, it all seemed like good advice until I read it again...oh well...try playing music so loud the old coot forgets about the floor boards, try Slayer :evil:

Leave the nails in and add screws. 50mm x 5mm will be fine. Screw near the nails so you're sure of hitting a joist and also the nails should be well clear of any pipes or cables, so if you screw there you should be ok.
It is gonna ruin the look if your floor though (unless you fill over the screws).

I see the only solution is go along the lines simont has already mentioned other than that cover the floor in bubble wrap :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying so quickly! I read somewhere on on this forum that even screwing down the floorboards doesn't always stop the creaking. So it looks like I'm going to have to take Simon's advice. My floorboards do go right up to the edge of the room, under the skirting. So I guess I'm going to have to remove the skirting to lift them. This is going to be a big job. There's an added complication in my bedroom - I've recently installed floor to ceiling wardrobes from IKEA right across one wall. However, the floorboards are parallel (rather than perpendicular) to the long edge of the wardrobes. About 5 and a half boards are hidden underneath. Do you think I need to dismantle the wardrobes (huge job)? Or can I get away with working up to the edge of them and not bothering with the floorboards that are already underneath?
I like the idea of putting a membrane-type layer down between the joists and the boards. Could you advise further on what sort of material this is and where I'd get it?

Many thanks.

You've gotta be out of your mind taking the boards up. Usually the squeaking is due to the boards rubbing against the nails that have worked loose. If you screw them down I'm sure you'll notice a big difference.

Wellafter my first reply and because of the problems with taking up the floor,I do think like gcol said try screwing the boards down first.I wouldn't like the responsibilty of giving advice that could give you unecessary work and aggro :oops:
It might even help a bit if you punch the nails in a bit deeper with a nail punch and hammer

Hi.
I also bought a flat on the top floor (3rd) which had the same problem.
I put some wedges under the skirting boards and put some no nails in it and then screwed some 2" screws right next to the nails and although not stopping the problem 100% it improved it so much and don't mind getting up in the night for a wee any more.
Make sure you check for pipes and electrical wires you can buy a tool for this (not sure what it is called).
Good luck and all the best

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back