Uneven floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Sorry if this is a silly question. I have a 1930s house and have been installing loft legs onto the rafters. Unfortunately they are not all perfectly level. Nothing dramatic, maybe the worst is 8mm.

My question is should cutting pieces of wood and placing them between the loft leg and chipboard be ok (obviously screwing them in)?

Alternatively is there a trader tip someone has :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Only a DIY'er, but I would say go for it!
I would consider putting the shim under the loft leg though - it would allow a longer screw to create a solid connection to the joists. Whereas, a shim on top of the loft leg, could be a little wobbly! :)

Plastic 'packers' may be a convenient alternative to cutting wood?

Sponsored Links
to be honest i dont like legs i prefer cross bracing as it spreads the load over all ceiling joists in any one area yes that is quite a bit heavier but spreads the load better
leg have far more point loading with load only spread over a far smaller area via your flooring material that will give far more deflection [sag 'dip]than say 4x2across the timbers

to be honest i dont like legs i prefer cross bracing as it spreads the load over all ceiling joists in any one area yes that is quite a bit heavier but spreads the load better
leg have far more point loading with load only spread over a far smaller area via your flooring material that will give far more deflection [sag 'dip]than say 4x2across the timbers
I would agree.
However, again with the StoreFloor (...and I have absolutely no affiliation! :) ), the galvanised steel channels do a fair bit of cross-bracing.

Together with the T&G of the loft boards, the floor is remarkably rigid, even when the joists are 3" x 2" 's! :confused:

that does look quite well engineered
i am assuming the rails are quite tight on the brackets to spread the load because iff you have any slop or looseness where the rails join on a bracket it will act like a hinge until all the slack is taken out ??

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back