Unhappy with wiring!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently had some work done on a outhouse but am not entirely happy with the results, especially with the electrical side of things. I have had the plumber in who has set up pipes for a feed to a washing machine, radiator and also prepared for an extension for a bathroom to be fitted as an extra room on the outhouse. This is all fine.

The electrician then added a couple of sockets to the outhouse and left some cable spare for a feed to the bathroom (when built) and also for electricity to the shed.

The queries i have are:

1. The electrician has said that they cannot give me a certificate for the wiring until the outhouse is complete? i.e. with the bathroom. Is this correct? To me it sounds as if they are just trying to ensure they get the work required on the new bathroom.

2. Are there any regulations as to how close a socket can be to a water feed to a washing machine for example? They are currently right next to each other which isn't very comforting when i have had to use the socket or remove / attach a water pipe.

I would appreciate any help here as i am not really sure about the regulations and don't want to be conned here. Especially when it comes to obtaining a certfificate for the wiring.

Many thanks,
Coxy

Sponsored Links
I think there could be a commucation problem here-

Is the extension being done soon, maybe he thinks hell be back in the next week or 2 to finish off?

The extension isn't being done any time soon which is why i wanted the certificate for the current work that has been carried out.

If i make sure he is aware of this then can i demand(?) a certficate for the work that has been carried out?

I would advise asking him first, and find out why he isnt going to issue one at the moment.

let us know how you get on.

Sponsored Links
Is the outhouse attached to your house, or is it a stand alone building?

The spare cable left by the electrician....is it connected to anything?

Were the washing machine pipes in place when the lecky fitted the socket?

Did your plumber do any earth bonding on the new pipes?

You should have an EIC which covers any new circuits he has commisioned, or a MWC for small alterations. The socket should be suitable for its environment, without a being there is impossible to tell. Is there is a risk of water dripping on it / splashing? Is it a bog standard socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back