Unidentified Coax

pff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a coax wire coming in through the window frame in my flat, and no roof access.
Is there an easy way to tell if its satellite or aerial? Pretty sure i can see both on the roof. I have only a normal analogue tv at the moment, and i don't want to buy the wrong box if i can avoid it.
I do have a multimeter and somewhere a cheap sat signal strength meter, but i understand this will indicate a freeview signal from an aerial also?

The wire is cut, no termination.
Dual shield, copper braid / silver colour foil with a foam core.
There is a splice half way up the outside of the building with what i think is connected with f connectors, its wrapped in tape but the shape looks familiar.
Not sure that helps with anyone's detective skills
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
nope, switch over is complete according to digital website.
Cant get anything tuning the tv either.

I think the only real way to find out is to either find out where the cable is coming from or try it with different types of receiver (I'd start with a freeview one since they are much cheper than freesat ones).

• Thanks
Reactions: pff
Sponsored Links
i made use of some returns policies to borrow some boxes, but neither type picks up any signal.
Guess ill have to get someone in to have a look.
thanks anyway.

As it is a flat, ask the landlord or agents what the routine is for getting a feed for TV/sky

Is the cable fattish, and brown, with a thick weave?

Or is the cable tight, white, and the insulation well webbed?

1st is Tv cable, 2nd is cable Tv.

Thanks guys, we own the property, just moved in.
i'm certain its not cable tv, we have cable for internet that disappears into the ground, this goes off up onto the roof.

i'm certain its not cable tv, we have cable for internet that disappears into the ground, this goes off up onto the roof.

f connectors, sounds more satellite, especially as to the roof..All cables would have their type printed on the side?

f connectors, sounds more satellite, especially as to the roof..All cables would have their type printed on the side?

He explicitly states it's unterminated. F connectors are commonly used for joints on 75 ohm coax no matter the purpose of the cable.

And no, not everything has a type printed on it, and even if it did it generally means nothing. WF100 for example can be used for terrestrial TV, FM or DAB radio, satellite, cable.. Like any other decent 75 ohm coax.

A folded dipole aerial will present almost a short-circuit to DC so you can use a multimeter on lowest Ohms range to measure between inner core and outer screen of the cable. If the reading is very low, there's almost certainly an aerial connected directly to the cable. A high reading means nothing. It could be a masthead amplifier or an LNB.

So - rather than saying I'm wrong, or suspecting I'm incorrect, why not try to answer the question? Give the OP some options?

He explicitly states it's unterminated. F connectors are commonly used for joints on 75 ohm coax no matter the purpose of the cable.

There is a splice half way up the outside of the building with what i think is connected with f connectors, its wrapped in tape but the shape looks familiar.

So the OP explicitly says the opposite of what you post? Can you justify your remark?

So the prior comment about no f connectors being involved, is false. Presumably the connector is wrapped in self amalgamating tape.

So - rather than saying I'm wrong, or suspecting I'm incorrect, why not try to answer the question? Give the OP some options?

So the OP explicitly says the opposite of what you post? Can you justify your remark?

So the prior comment about no f connectors being involved, is false. Presumably the connector is wrapped in self amalgamating tape.

The wire is cut, no termination.

Go away, Micky.

There is a splice halfway up the building fitted with f connectors...

There is a splice halfway up the building fitted with f connectors...

Yes, and that's not a termination, that's a joint. And as I said, F connectors are used as joints most of the time, no matter the use of the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back