Uninstalling split level AirCon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my wife and I moved into an old farm house back in November, and installed in the main bedroom is a aircon unit.

Being in the UK, we figure that its probably only going to be used for about 7 nights in 10 years, and the external unit, is just ugly sitting there on the side wall of our house, in full view...

We're in the process of putting some insulated plasterboard throughout the old part of the house, and am looking to remove the unit.

Does anyone have any hints and tips as to how this should be undertaken - I'm competent with DIY, but have never come across aircon units before

Thanks
Tony

Sponsored Links
If it really is a split unit, you should call in a professional refrigeration or air con guy.

If it is a sealed kit with fixed flexible connections, you may be able to do it yourself without discharging refigerant.

depending on the unit it may be capable of heating in the winter too.. so don't go dismissing it straight away..

is there another source of heat in the room?

if you need to remove it then you'll need to de-comission it, this involves recovering the refrigerant and vac'ing the pipes to remove all traces..
once empty it should be a simple case of disconnecting it and cutting the pipes..
DO NOT!!!!!!! cut the pipes while the gas is still in them, you can recieve a very severe frost burn if you get the refrigerant spraying onto you.. ( one guy at work nearly lost the end of his finger to a system when a shrader popped off while he was checking it for tightness.. )

if it is indeed a DIY one, then as already said you could possibly unplug the refrigerant hose and remove it.

I don't know if there are any rules regarding selling the DIY type second hand..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back