Universal Beam in Ceiling Joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone provide me with a ball park estimate (to the nearest £1k) for the following work.

- We have an extension to the rear of the property that currently isn't working well.
- Removing pier and installing steel flush into ceiling void (pinning to back wall).
- Knocking out brick at rear of extension and installing bifold doors with lintel above.
- Removing old flat roof and replacing with roof lantern with new fibreglass roof surround.

Please note: As you can see we have already consulted a structural engineer to do calcs. We will also source the lantern/bifold ourselves.

I am also aware of the fact it will cause damage to the rooms upstairs.

I essentially just want to see what the quotes should be around very roughly. I am based in the northwest.

Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have no idea where the image went. Here it is again. Also I say to the nearest 1k because I realise lots depends on the situation so many people say “how long is a piece of string”. I had hoped my engineer would be able to provide a ball park figure but he flat out refused. Sadly.

Attachments

• 9D9B8824-E366-4874-BC78-53ECA40B82CF.jpeg
    9D9B8824-E366-4874-BC78-53ECA40B82CF.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 292
Are these replies serious?

I need someone who can do the job and work to their estimate.

Yeah, seriously cash in hand (y)

And I am free easter weekend. But hurry up else mrs woody may book me in for cutting the grass and tidying the garden :(

Seriously, you have no chance of anything like a realistic estimate.

Even if you are sourcing some of your own stuff, what type, design, materials are all relevant. Spec for the roof, the steel type, bearings, services, making good, skips, access, it's endless.

You certainly won't get any change from £20k, and it looks like I'll be cutting the grass after all.

You need a proper specification and people to actually see the job, not a few lines on an internet forum

As I though. Someone said on another thread they got the beam up for under a grand.

Also why I said closest £1k.

Cheers all

As I though. Someone said on another thread they got the beam up for under a grand.

Also why I said closest £1k.

Cheers all
We got a UB up for under a grand, but that was under the joists, not in the ceiling, and mates rates to a builder to supervise on a Saturday whilst me and 3 friends did the leg work, and cash to an SE for the calcs.

Your job looks significantly more complex, so budgeting 20k probably isn't a bad idea, unless you are prepared (and capable!) Of doing significant amounts of work yourself (and free/cheap labour)

Okay. Where exactly is that £20k going? Because materials isn’t a huge amount and days rates I’m told are about £200 give or take.

Are you telling me £20k will be to simply support wall with acrows, knock out pillar put steel into ceiling void?

I realise that it is more complex than that but I didn’t think labour would come in at £20k.

I’ve set aside £1k each for sparky and for plasterer to make good the walls and install down lights. So I really just need someone to install the steel and remove the pillar.

I would be grateful if you could advise where the costs are going so I have a rough idea. Thank you again.

In your first post there's another lintel and set of bifolds, plus a new roof and roof lantern.

There are huge a number of variables, hence the responses you've got. Ranging from whether site access is a nightmare through to whether you want a cheap set of £3k bifolds or a decent set for 6k.

Who would be responsive for clearing the upstairs rooms and reinstating afterwards?

By the way, did your SE confirm that the floor joist depth is large enough to completely absorb the 203mm UB?

So you are including the materials (lantern/bifolds) if so then the £20k isn't so scary.

The SE said there will be 8inch beam going in and it might not be flush. I'm okay with it zitting down a few inches just as long as there isn't a huger 12" beam like there currently is making the room look a mess.

I do realise the huge number of variables. For what it is worth access is excellent and both the room itself and the rooms above will be clear and ready to go.

What scared me is the fact that if I source all materials myself and a builder says he wants 20k because the job is awkward.

I was planning on paying days rates for say a couple of builders £200/day for say 10-14 days = £4-5k labour and materials sources myself come in at about 6k for all the glass and then a few more grand for the roof materials, steel, etc...

I am going to get a lot of local quotes but I wanted a very rough guide first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back