Unknown Gas pipe in fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We're looking to box in the fireplace in our new house in to a dvd/cable box storage area, there is a capped gas pipe coming through a cut-out in a concrete slab - Can we box up and over this pipe?

We can't see any form of isolation valve for the pipe, and we're not savvy with gas

Is it good practise to box up a gas pipe or do we need to invest in a gas expert to trace it back and cap it off earlier in the line?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
And they'll tell you to get a gas-safe fitter because they need the work.

Seeing as it`s a copper pipe - I`d recommend a Gas Safe fitter to trace it back and cap it as far back as possible :idea: If it was screwed iron I`d tell you to leave it alone and just cover it . I used to do a bit of gas fitting as a trained plumber , but stopped as soon as the regulation came in- too much £ to outlay for the small amount of gas I did ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back