Unlevel concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my renovation project is ground & first floor 60's built ex council maisonette. It was in an unbelievable state - 5 layers of disintigrated carpet in some rooms, three layers of tiles on the floors, cockroach infested . . .etc etc.
I've had it two months and its well on the turn, though a few uglies have raised thir head . .

the ground floor is concrete and in the lounge (abouot 5 metres by 3 metres) is decidedly unlevel. I've compunded this by knocking out the non-load bearing wall between the lounge and hall, widedning the lounge by another metre. The concrete floors were definitly layed after the internal walls built, as the level in what was the hall is about 6 mm above that in the lounge. . . . .

eventually I want to float a wooden floor over the concrete . . my question is: how am I going to level the concrete out? Having low enough ceilings already I'd only want to level it to the highest current level . . .. .

help!

thanks!

Huey

Sponsored Links
'Leveling' 6mm out in the lounge with screed would take roughly 2 - 3 months to dry out. Is it a 'sharp' drop of 6mm between former hall underfloor and lounge floor? If so, rising the lounge floor level with plywood or hardboard would be an option (lay a sheet of DPM first).

2-3 months! mmm, thats not good news. yes, it is a sharp drop, but then the rest of the lounge is not exactly level either so not sure the hardboard plan would work . . .
what about gluing floorboards down with packing where necessary?

looks like trouble ahead . . .

thanks

theflyingpig said:
2-3 months! mmm, thats not good news. yes, it is a sharp drop, but then the rest of the lounge is not exactly level either so not sure the hardboard plan would work . . .
You could use several materials, like we do when we encounter this problem: e.g. using extra 3mm hardboard strips where needed.

theflyingpig said:
what about gluing floorboards down with packing where necessary?
looks like trouble ahead . . .
No, no, no (sorry to sound blunt) adhesive cannot be used as a filler or leveler. That is looking for trouble

Sponsored Links
blunt is fine! mmmm, how about a dry screed (grano?) instead? Cos the ceilings are less than 8 ft as they are I really don't want to raise the floor more than necessary . . .

ta

We have no experience with dry screed (is there a thing DRY Screed??) so I'm afraid we can't help you there.
2.44 meter height, well have you seen new homes ;) ?

not sure about the 'dry' screed, I guess I was hoping there was a material that would dry faster without having to go down the wood route . . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back