unlevel dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bit of a strange one here

Re doing a bathroom (my own not a customer's) and I have a bit of a strange issue

Currently battoning ceiling out for new boards and getting everything square and plumb as much as I can for floor to ceiling tiling

I leveled the ceiling and it looked way out (by eye) spot on on spitit. By way out I mean on Windows and above doors

So checked floor for level both ways and that's spot on (original floor)

So then decided to mark out a ceiling line at 2.4m and re do battens everything looks fine this time I even individually checked height of each timber from floor and all 2.4 both ends and in middle

Stuck level on it and it says it's way out.

Now I'm a plastered by trade so do my fair share of stud wall and ceilings and never encountered this

I have checked with two different levels just to rule out a bad level

Anybody know what's going on?

I know the most important thing is for the overall finished room and tiles to looks right and not 100% of the time can it look right and be plumb everywhere but I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas as to what's going on

Sponsored Links
I've used a different level so can rule that out the door is definately square

Window could well be pi**ed haven't checked that

For now (unless it Bugs me) everything is lined up by eye

I don't mind it being out of true slightly as long as it looks right when it's all done

My biggest concern was having it look off when it's tiled so thy that's the main priority making sure that when it's tiled there isn't a massive difference in the top cut tiles around the room

Sponsored Links
I've always worked on the " if it looks right it is right" philosophy no matter what the level says and have even put stuff in well out of level or plumb but it still worked and looked good.
As you are tiling it I'd be inclined to set out the tiling to see if the " error" is evident , drawing lines on the wall should help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back