Unlevel Sliding Shower door & Sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm in the process of installing a 1000 sliding shower enclosure manufactured by Lakes. In the instructions it states that the shower tray needs to be fully sealed to the tiled wall before the enclosure is fixed in Position. The problem is that the enclosure now doesn't sit level again the horizontal edge of the shower tray, and the side supports don't sit flat against the wall, all due to the sealant between the tray and tiles. I suppose I could cut the mastic away where the enclosure touches it, that way it will sit flush, but my worry is that this course of action may result in a leak, which is the last thing I want.

I suppose what I'm looking for is for the experts on here to tell me what is usually done in these situations?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've become an expert and sorted it myself. Job done. I might of even thanked myself if I was able to!

The silicone seal between the tiles and shower tray should continue behind the wall profiles and should not be cut. The silicone should be applied a couple of days before installing the shower enclosure allowing it to cure correctly. When the wall profiles are screwed to the wall the silicone will compress allowing the profile to sit flush. If you are concerned about tearing the silicone seal when the wall profile is fitted place a small amount for sealant behind the wall profile at the base and a further small bead in the back of the wall profile. Do not fill the wall profile as this will block the drainage. It is also important not to seal the enclosure to the tray on the inside as this will trap water and cause leaks. This information is normally stated at the beginning of most fitting instructions. The damage caused by incorrect application or failure of silicone sealant is covered with images on the Shower Advisor website.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your reply. This is pretty much what I've done anyway, but it's nice to know that it was the right way to go.

Once again, much appreciated :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back