Unreliable advice regarding isolating switch for extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I need help to clear up some confusing messages my electrician has given me.

He has just rewired my bathroom (light, switch, shaver socket and extractor). I'm generally not impressed by his work and now he's giving me mixed messages regarding regulations.

Initial quote included an isolating switch for the extractor but he didn't install one. I only noticed this once he'd left.

Now I'm asking him if I NEED it and he's using phrases like 'IF i want to stick to the regulations'...this worries me.

Can someone clear it up so I can have an informed discussion - bathroom being plastered this week so need it sorted soonish.

The details:
Small bathroom with a window, extractor has a timer and controlled from the light switch.

All advice gladly accepted.
M[/b]

Sponsored Links
Regulations make reference to following manufacturer's instructions.
Most manufacturers will stipulate isolation, usually via a switched, fused, connection unit. This also might be required to honour their guarantee.
Did he fit one of these ?

He should really have fitted it - the point of it is so that if you need to work on the fan, you can isolate it and keep the lights on.

However, in cases where there is a window I will generally not insist on retro fitting one - the principle being that you'd be working on the fan in the daytime s don't need the lights.

However, for a new install or in an existing job where there is no window I would always fit one

So to answer your question, not it's not life threatening and if you don't want him back then I wouldn't worry too much - he'll be certifying it afterall. I hope he knocked a bit off the price though!

Thanks guys.

Would it make a difference if I wanted to rent the flat out? Is his certification enough, irrespective of isolator?

Renting might be an option in a few years.

And in regard to the manufacturers instructions - he disposed of these so I can't check (without Googling of course)!

Sponsored Links
And in regard to the manufacturers instructions - he disposed of these so I can't check (without Googling of course)!
I'd not be surprised if somewhere in those instructions he was told to leave them with you.

Have you paid him?

Are you looking to reduce the bill?

Are you prepared to be a tad unreasonable to get a bit knocked off?

did you ask for a receipt or tell him "i`ll pay you cash so i dont have to pay you any vat tax etc" as if you did he wouldnt be able to give you a certificate as its tracable back to him. I am in the NICEIC :( and now the inland revenue has access to the NICEIC certificate database so no more can electricains do a cert for cash, clever eh?

I've already paid as the work looked finished. It was only after he left that I noticed the missing switch.

He promised to send the paperwork on afterwards.

I need to contact him and seek as resolution. If it is certifiable then I'm happy to get my certificate and leave it at that. If not, I want him to come and finish the job.

In regards to receipts, this isn't a practice I've ever encountered with any trades. I found this guy through MyHammer with plenty of reviews and recommendations. He wasn't the cheapest quote and appeared very professional.

You could always threaten to report him to your LABC if you're not satisfied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back