Bathroom extractor fan pull switch- wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an old discoloured isolating pull switch for a bathroom extractor fan. The old unit has two LIVE wires (in and out) and two NEUTRAL (in and out) as well an EARTH. The new unit only has L1, L2, a COM and earth. Assuming the new unit was just a light switch I checked with the supplier, however, they assured me it can be used as a light or extractor switch. Sorry, i know this is probably a stupid question but an advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if your old pull switch was a dual pole arrangement.
I take it your fan does not have a timer element and it switches on and off with the pull switch.

Your new unit is single pole and uses a standard 2 way lighting arrangement.
Put one of your live cables into C and the other into L1.
Put your two earth cables (sleeved) into your earth lug.
Put your two neutral cables into a connector block.

With your original switch both live wires were isolated (line and neutral) with your new switch the neutral will not be isolated when you turn it off - so if you want to work on the extractor fan you will need to isolate the circuit from the consumer unit itself.

The only dual pole pull switch I could find after a quick google is this one:
http://www.discount-electrical.co.u...g-switch-16a/d44e2c587e46b7f0f38d1fd3571840e6

cheers that worked ;)
and yeah the old unit/switch was just a standard on/off, no timer

Sponsored Links
With your original switch both live wires were isolated (line and neutral) with your new switch the neutral will not be isolated when you turn it off - so if you want to work on the extractor fan you will need to isolate the circuit from the consumer unit itself...

...by turning off the main switch. If you switch off the MCB or remove the fuse, that will only isolate the line, the same as the new switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back