Unsafe Insulation Resistance testing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In what circumstances is IR testing phase to earth, neutral to earth unsafe?
To avoid any possible damage to any circuits should I only test to earth with phase and neutral connected together
Any help would be appreciated on this

Sponsored Links
Schedule of tests requires P-N & P-E IR test however where vulnerable equipment is connected then PN-E is done and note on form.

ELV lighting, CH programmers, aerial amps, dimmers to name a few vulnerable bits of kit.

So where vulnerable equipment is present N-E, P-E is not safe?
Is it better practice (safer) to conduct PN together to E
Can IR testing P-E, N-E cause damage, is it unsafe?
I was always under the impression it was perfectly safe

I know that the requirements are to test with 500V, but when I do IR I start with 250V, if this is ok (on my meter a 200Mohm) I will test with 500V as not every circuit has sensitive accessories. If the result is too low, I will test L+N to earth and make a note in the cert.

Sponsored Links
I do the same test at 250V and then 500V if all clear. However I am still uncertain how IR N-E, P-E can cause damage?

I do the same test at 250V and then 500V if all clear. However I am still uncertain how IR N-E, P-E can cause damage?
I think that the L-N can cause damage, as far as I understand L or N to E should not cause damage...

Can IR testing P-E, N-E cause damage, is it unsafe?
I was always under the impression it was perfectly safe

Cases of equipment and filtered sockets left connected and the input filters ( surge suppressors phase to ground and neutral to ground ) being damaged by the 500 volt test. They will absorb the small amount of energy from a transient spike much greater greater that 400 volts ( or there abouts ) but cannot absorb the prolonged energy at 500 volts supplied by the test instrument. They burn out, appear normal but cannot absorb spikes later and the equipment they are intended to protect is no longer protected.

Schedule of tests requires P-N & P-E IR test

Its not just phase you have to test to earth...

Remember neutral is a live conductor and teh schedule says live/live and live/earth :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back