Unscrewing hexagonal nut under washing machine!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all.

This seems a ridiculous problem to have, but never mind.

Recently moved into a flat - the previous owner left an old washing machine in the kitchen, which I want to replace with my existing newer one. Theirs is under a kitchen cabinet, but it's been fastened to the floor using a standard hexagonal nut, resting on a rubber washer.

Problem is there's very little space between the bottom of the machine and the nut - neither my adjustable wrench nor my spanners fit - they're just too thick!

I don't know exactly what size the nut is, and can't find any cheap and cheerful low profile spanner sets. Does anyone have a bright idea about how I can sort this?!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I can't see how the machine is actually fixed to the floor, more likely this is some sort of levelling foot.
Any chance of tipping the machine forward a fraction so you can get the spanner in? Turn the nut or bolt clockwise. Failing that, some built in appliances could actually be levelled from the front panel, at the bottom.
John :)

Hi John, thanks for that. It seems pretty solidly fixed - there's no give at all when I try to lift/tip the machine. So there doesn't seem to be any way to increase the space between the bottom of the machine and the top of the rubber washer to allow a spanner to fit....

Sponsored Links
And there you go. I could pretend that I'd already done that with no joy, but that would make these forums far less entertaining.

I will happily admit to being a complete fool. What can I say - I see a nut, I want to undo it. Muppet.

Thanks John!!

You've solved the problem, but for future reference, for access to narrow spaces you can always introduce Mr Spanner to Mr Angle Grinder.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back