Moving washing machine upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Hope you can help or at least put my mind at rest...

I have a 3 story town house and as such have a lot of space on the top floor in the bathroom and a walk in wardrobe... however my kitchen is a little on the small side... about a month ago i came up with the idea of putting my washing machine on the top floor in the bathroom. The thought behind this was that rather than loading firty clothes into a washbasket. Taking them to the bottom floor and washing them and then drying them and taking them back upstairs I would simply undress into the washing machine and then put it on when its full.... brillient plan i thought..

So i went about adding the pipework and all was well... I carried the washine machine up the 2 flights of stairs and installed it...

Now my problem is.. that although the washing machine functions totally well and my idea works fantastic... the entire room shakes like a nutter when the machine is doing its spin... its so bad that when you are sat in the lounge (2 floors down) you can hear it clearly and i also sware the wall is moving.... I have balanced the machine and its level ... there seems to be nothing i can to do stop it shaking so much...

Im worried that after a few more uses the plasterboard is going to start coming off the walls... or the joists will shake loose and the washing machine will go through the floor....

Am i worried about nothing and this should be fine? what could i do to stop it shaking? sit it on rubber maybe?

anyhelp/advise would be great.

Sponsored Links
When I read the title, I was going to say you may have noise/vibration problems, but you have already moved it & have found that out.
Have you leveled the machine properly.

Have you leveled the machine properly.
I have balanced the machine and its level

One assumes this has been done already!

I would re-post in the Building Forum, prob get more responses and some structural engineer may pop in and start rattling on about all the forces involved etc. I feel sorry for your neighbours unless you're detached as they'll surely be feeling it too!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back