Unsprung heavy door knobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok the wife has bought some fancy, and bloody expensive, door knobs problem is they are unsprung. I got a medium sprung latch and it doesn't seem strong enough to spring the knob back on its own, I did notice bolt is through the latch perfectly a lined it will spring back. I haven't drilled any holes for the knobs as of yet. Basically I am asking do I need a stronger latch or do I just need to make sure the knobs on each side of the door are perfectly a lined so the bolt passes through perfectly straight.

I hope I described this correctly, any knob experts?

Sponsored Links
start by lining them up perfectly, of course. I find it helps, before marking the screw holes for the knob plate, to centre it on the spindle hole by moving it up, down, left, right, and centring it on the maximum movement marks.

If necessary, these Altro latches from Ironmongery Direct have an excellent return spring.
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?searchtext=mortice latch&fl=brand:altro&apelog=yes

The case is yellow, and I've found the forend and receiver are packed separately, so there is a good range of finishes. They are much more substantial that ordinary mortice latches, and snap firmly into position.

I first used them because they come in a wide range of lengths, so will match horizontal sashlocks. There is also a matching bathroom mortice bolt.

Sponsored Links
start by lining them up perfectly, of course. I find it helps, before marking the screw holes for the knob plate, to centre it on the spindle hole by moving it up, down, left, right, and centring it on the maximum movement marks.

If necessary, these Altro latches from Ironmongery Direct have an excellent return spring.
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?searchtext=mortice latch&fl=brand:altro&apelog=yes

The case is yellow, and I've found the forend and receiver are packed separately, so there is a good range of finishes. They are much more substantial that ordinary mortice latches, and snap firmly into position.

I first used them because they come in a wide range of lengths, so will match horizontal sashlocks. There is also a matching bathroom mortice bolt.

Thanks for this I will have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back