Unsprung Door Knobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Looking for some advice I am having a nightmare finding door knobs/handles that I really like. I had chosen a pewter door knob and when I finally chased them down and got them to the house my joiner took one look at them and sadi they are no good becuase they aren't sprung and a normal latch wouldn't return the knob.

I have since been to a few suppliers of doors and door hardware and tons of places sell unsprung door knobs, they are in fact generaqlly more expensive then sprung ones!

I have been told what I need is a heavily sprung latch and that this will be fine. My joiner has told me repeatedly he doesn't like door knobs and its much better to have a backplate.

Should I be listening to him or is he wanting an easier option to fit.

Advice most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Normal handles do have their own spring to help keep the handle level, but your latches should have a spring too....why not give one of your pewter knobs a try?
John :)

I'd get another joiner in. Your the customer. You want the knobs you have chosen. Sounds like he doesn't want the job mate.

Sponsored Links
Put a proper mortice latch in not a cheap tubular latch, may take longer to fix but it will have a better spring and last longer.

Something like this if the handle height falls within the mid rail, ignore the keyhole they us the same case for both locks & latches . Or if the knob is in the rail then this type will be better, just make sure you don't knock your knuckles on the door stop.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back