Unsual Torus Skirting Board Variety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to replace a long length of skirting board in my lounge but I'm struggling to find the correct type. It looks like Torus but nothing close to what is available.

Has anyone come across this type before?

Thanks all

Attachments

• PXL_20220422_165340739.jpg
    PXL_20220422_165340739.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20220422_165344136.jpg
    PXL_20220422_165344136.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
It just looks like a modern torus (flat below the bulged bit) as opposed to a Victorian torus (radiused below the bulged bit). The only thing is it is very short, so either somebody has use architrave instead of skirting, or they have ripped torus skirting down to that width. I'd expect a traditional torus skirting to be anything from 5 to 9in (125 to 225mm) tall. Yours looks a lot less

Victorian Torus.jpg
Modern Torus.jpg

Above: Victorian torus (left) and modern torus (right)

What is often not appreciated is that there is no such thing as a B.S.I, CE or DIN standard when it comes to mouldings - every firm producing them has their own knives and therefore getting a near match is often all you can manage.

Traditionally hand planed torus mouldings for skirtings were often in the range 7/8in to 1-1/4in (in 1/8in increments: this is the size of the bulged bit aka the bead) for the majority of skirtings - at least based on wooden moulding planes I've come across and bearing in mind that every planemaker had their own unique pattern

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back