Struggling to find old skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a few meters of old skirting board but can't find it on any websites - does anyone recognise this skirting or something really similar (please don't say Torus!)?

Attachments

• skirting board profile.jpg
    skirting board profile.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,018
Sponsored Links
Try a Woodyard who might manufacture one for you, but a few metres may be too expensive.

Or assemble bits of wood to resemble the profile.

What I have done is steal matching skirting from another room and replace the whole lot in the donor room

Looks like torus to me how old is the house, thing is most wood yards can only cut certain profiles as some of the old machines didn,t fit health and safety regs.

Sponsored Links
Its Torus, but keep in mind that there are many Torus section profiles with Mfr's machining slight variations to suit themselves.
My take is that there are nowadays two typical Torus mouldings but, unfortunately, the above sketch is of an older version of a Torus moulding.
If you have a spindle moulder and a bar of cutting steel its simple enough to grind a profile and run the stuff through.
Even a router with a selection of cutters will get you near enough to sand to match.

But, as advised above, the simple solution is to send the dimensioned sketch away to a stockist or a custom wood machinists shop.

Looks more like a simplified ogee rather than a torus to me. In many cases these were run up by the local joinery works or by the builder's own joiners shop, so the best place to start would probably be local joinery firms who have their own machining facilities. Bought-in stock designs are often slightly (or very) different, so the technique suggested by Tigercubrider of robbing material from cupboards or small rooms followed by reskirting those rooms in a similar style of new skirting is often one which needs to be done in renovations. Having said that there Skirtings Online do list a Profile 32 skirting which is similar to the profile you require:

Skirting Profile 32 001 01.jpg

so you may be able to track down a near match

In terms of having an exact match made, don't go there unles you have deep pockets. The law on cutter blocks and cutter types used by te trade changed several times between 1974 and 2002 so old cutter blocks from before 2002 are only going to be available in a very limited range of sizes. Having profiles ground to your requirements can cost £60 to £120 a profile - that's before you have to pay for the machine to be set up and the profile run

Attachments

• Skirting Profile 32 001 01.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Skirting Profile 32 001 01.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 241
+1 this is technically a type of ogee (ogee = S-bend). From the subdued profile it looks like it has been made by some local craftsman with a moulding plane. I agree with Tigercubrider, borrow some from a donor room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back