Unsupported floor joists, wall knocked through in the void for pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Another issue in my Victorian terrace which I could use some advice on! I was checking my floor joists before overboarding with ply ready for laminate flooring, and I found that a couple of joists (dining room and lounge) are completely unsupported, because at some point in the house’s history someone has completely knocked through the wall in the void to run pipework.

There is a little a bounce to the floor in that area, but I never would have noticed if I wasn’t checking each joist.

I can’t rebuild the wall to joist height and pack underneath since there’s a shi*toad of pipework in the way. I was thinking of bolting both joist ends together, then adding a trimmer each side to the adjacent joists which are pocketed into the wall to provide support?

Would this work, and does anyone have any other suggestions?

Best,
Tom

4ED7BE55-983E-4D12-B90D-ED75979BF787.jpeg

Sponsored Links
A vertical post to the ground? slightly Short and bang in wedges

If it is soil below, a post would sink in. Lay a paving slab for the post to sit on.

It looks if there might not be room to get a post in there, in which case an off cut of steel box section under two joists, with a post supporting the steel - like a T

Sponsored Links
A good shout with the post/T with steel! I have some ballast/cement left over from laying new hearths, so I could use that to set a post in place, or just use a slab as suggested. Doesn’t transfer any load onto adjacent joist then either, and an easier fix than trimmers and bolts etc.

Joists aren’t sistered no, as Harry guessed, it’s just where the dining room and living room joists overlap, they were both sat on the wall before it was knocked through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back