Unsupported plasterboard edges causing cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a go at patching cracks in the plasterboard walls / ceilings of my partners flat.

Having done some research, the plan was to dig out and expand the crack, cover with scrim tape then skim over and feather in. So far, so good.

As i go stuck into opening up the cracks (which are all on plasterboard edges with no tape) i've found some flexing unsupported board edges, which presumably exacerbated the cracking - In one case there is some batton behind, but not sufficient to nail / screw into (about 5mm), and in another seemingly no support at all.

Any tips on how i can secure / support the board edges without taking the whole board off (fails the girlfriend test) ? I could just tape and skim, but i reckon the cracks will open up again fairly quickly

Sponsored Links
Do you have access to the ceiling / attic space if the boards are on a ceiling?

Ken

Unfortunately not Ken. The room is a loft conversion so no access above.

I have bodged things like that with no more nails.
Evey 20cm or so open up crack a bit more to maximise surface area of both sides of plasterboard sheets. Put in No More Nails.
Stitch along sheet to make a secure joint.

Sponsored Links
Thanks SFK. something along those lines was my fall back option. Not ideal, but anything has to be better than nothing.

In a perfect world i'd take it down and re-board but this was supposed to be a quick decorate and on to the next room.

Once again, i'm learning that simple tasks never are.

Pleasure.
Note that for that job I tend to use water based no more nails.
No idea why, but I felt it worked better on plasterboard and was easier to wipe off excess with damp cloth to ensure slightly lower than plasterboard.
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back