Unused fused switch removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend is just doing up his flat, and currently has crappy electric heater things on the walls which he wants rid of. There is a fused switch next to each of the heaters.
Whats the best way to cover these switches? In the sense he wants to plaster over the holes where the switches were, but obviously there is lives wires there. I know the ideal solution would be to take out these wires, but it isnt really feasible. Is there any other way?

Sponsored Links
Apologise, I dont really understand the links you posted?

I understand what you mean though about cutting the cables back at the CU. What if the heaters are on the same circuit as other sockets etc, and this isnt possible cutting them back at the CU? Is it against the regs to terminate the switch in some form of box and plaster over it?

Thanks for the help!!

Sponsored Links
Is it against the regs to terminate the switch in some form of box and plaster over it?
Yes.

I wont do that then! thanks :)

I understand what you mean about the zones now. If the heaters have their own circuit, I dont see there being much of a problem now you said about trimming the wires back at the CU. But what if they are on the same circuit as other sockets etc and its not possible to trim them back, what are the other options?

Cheers for you time.

Thanks for the help :)

One of the sockets is live, so he is just going to put a single socket on it now. The other one was dead, and there was no wires near/in the CU which could be connected together, so I assume this is safe to plaster over?

if the spurs are on a power circuit, why not swap them out for 13a sockets? can never have too many...

or, easy option 2, join the tails with connecter blocks and stick flatplate blank plates over them, then paint over... not totally invisible, but fairly discrete, and electrical connections do have to be accessible.

Edit: helps if you all the replies first, duh...

Thanks for the help :)

One of the sockets is live, so he is just going to put a single socket on it now. The other one was dead, and there was no wires near/in the CU which could be connected together, so I assume this is safe to plaster over?

Ideally you should find where it is fed from but if that is not practical I would short the ends of the live and neutral wires before covering it up. that way if someone does try to reconnect it they should be treated to an immediate blowing of the fuse/tripping of the breaker rather than leaving live wires in the wall.My questions would be

You say one is dead?

ARE YOU SURE IT IS NOT FOR A STORAGE HEATER OR COMBINATION HEATER?

These would only be LIVE DURING OFF PEAK HOURS.

There has never been Storage or Combination Heaters, only electric ones. The building use to be one large house, but has been converted.....not sure who did the electrical work etc, but there has been quite a few dead things like this, and we cannot find the other ends.
The only thing we can see is that for each new flat, the cabling is nearly always in Brown/Blue, where as the dead sockets/fused switches are all in Red/Black. So we are guessing that the old Red/Black sockets have been disconnected and trimmed back at the old original CU, but cannot really see anything at the original CU....which isnt good as we shouldn't be guessing, but we dont know who did the original work.
May just put a blanking plate over the dead one to be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back