unused gas pipe for fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have had the gas fire removed and the pipe capped. I want to fit new skirting board as well as a laminate floor and so the skirting will cover up the pipe in the wall.

do i need to mark it with anything or make any special preperations before doing it or can i just put skirting over the top?

cheers

:)

Sponsored Links
Get the pipe removed before sealing off the floor forever, unless you can get under there without ripping up the beautiful laminate.

thing is i dont want to loose the pipe completely. just in case the next owner wants to put a gas fire in.

laminate is not down yet but dont really fancy digging up a concrete floor to get to it.

any other suggestions??

many thanks

:)

What the next owner wants to do really isn't your problem, having a gas supply (or not) to a disused fireplace isn't going to make or break the sale

Sponsored Links
could i just isolate the pipe?? i can see where it enters under the floor in the garage as the house is on a slope. i could cut the pipe and fit an isolation valve so i can isolate the pipe but it can still be reinstated if needs be.

would that be something i can do or would i need a registerd gas person??

thanks

Chances are that working on your own house would not be classified as "business purpose"

A lot of fire pipes are connected to steel; a bit too much movement in the pipe during the job, and the old sealing compound cracks, resulting in the need for a rerun.

Bad idea to work on old pipes as a diy project.

To avoid the obvious comments; I didn't mention the safety aspect as it really is too obvious.

hmm think i will get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for me!!!

cheers :)

This is the correct answer - don't mess with gas unless you are qualified to do so, even if it does seem a simple task, there's stuff that the pros know that we mortals couldn't even begin to understand!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back