Unused shower cable, how to reuse for sockets?

Or, swap the 40A mcb for a 20A one, use a jb in the loft to change down to 2.5mm cable, run this as a radial to the sockets and a sfcu to feed the lights.

Sponsored Links
The posts imply he has an MCB and cable which is not connected to an appliance, this would not fit the definition of a circuit. I would also hope the cable is not connected in the CU. As things appear, this will be a new circuit and is notifiable.

Sponsored Links
The cable is attached to a shower pull cord and is connected at the CU.
In that case I would think that it qualifies as 'a circuit', even though there is currently nothing (i.e. no shower) connected to the pull switch.

Opinions will undoubtedly vary as to whether the 're-purposing' of this circuit you propose would qualify as the creation of 'a new circuit' (which is what would make the work 'notifiable') - and I think that is simply a matter of different opinions/interpretations, rather than a matter of 'right' and 'wrong'.

Some would probably say that changing the MCB would make it a 'new circuit', but I'm not sure that is very logical in terms of 'safety' issues, given that we would be talking about a reduction of the rating of the MCB. Others would think that 're-purposing', per se (without a change of MCB) would make it a 'new circuit' - but that could get silly in some cases (e.g. if one put one socket on the end of an unused 'immersion' circuit, or if one used an unused shower circuit for a cooker).

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Scousespark I'm in South Liverpool are you able to private message me as I don't seem to be able to PM you.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back