Unusual item

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was snooping around in our main LV switchroom today and spotted this:
09D3A218-2AEB-463F-9B23-01F91D3A2DCD.jpeg

We have a 2kA per phase supply fed in to our panel board from an 11kV sub at the other side of the wall in the picture (to which we don’t have access)

The cable from the break glass unit disappears through the wall into the sub.
Y.E.B. Is Yorkshire Electricity Board as they would have been known in the early 80s when this would have been installed.

I presume it is still in service but testing it probably wouldn’t go down very well!

I’ve never seen anything like this before so though it may be of interest to people here

Sponsored Links
I think this is (was) quite common. At one of our sites we have a DNO 11kV incomer, and a similar "estop" push button. Pushing the button trips the DNO supply at their RMU outside, also causing our VCB to trip.

Seem similar at hilltop ( radio comms ) sites to remove power and make climbing the mast safe ( or less dangerous )

I think this is (was) quite common. At one of our sites we have a DNO 11kV incomer, and a similar "estop" push button. Pushing the button trips the DNO supply at their RMU outside, also causing our VCB to trip.

As above, Seen many sites where this has been implimented as a big red button, often with a treffolite label "Pressing this button trips the HV switchfuse" but never seen it done with a break glass unit before

Sponsored Links
I've seen plenty of main supply trip buttons on the actual panels (water authority pumping) I used to work upon, especially so those stations which had their own substation.

As above, Seen many sites where this has been implimented as a big red button, often with a treffolite label "Pressing this button trips the HV switchfuse" but never seen it done with a break glass unit before
We had one at place I worked which had a test switch to check the circuit, no one had the bottle to try it

I seem to recall fire alarm points having them little hammers, but over the years i guess people thieved them

I was snooping around in our main LV switchroom today and spotted this:
View attachment 241973

We have a 2kA per phase supply fed in to our panel board from an 11kV sub at the other side of the wall in the picture (to which we don’t have access)

The cable from the break glass unit disappears through the wall into the sub.
Y.E.B. Is Yorkshire Electricity Board as they would have been known in the early 80s when this would have been installed.

I presume it is still in service but testing it probably wouldn’t go down very well!

I’ve never seen anything like this before so though it may be of interest to people here
I installed one.
A factory refurb which was totally stripped back to a bare shell, I assisted with the new electrics which meant a 1MW 11KV installed by DNO, we installed main intake panel including their meter and all of the wiring ' through the wall' (actually DNO insisted it went down into the ground and under the sub hut foundation even though it was under a very large covered portico and didn't require the hut) IIRC the break glass was panel mounted (semi flush) and yellow or orange to contrast with the grey panel and the nearby fire point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back