Unusual Rafter Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Looking to purchase a house and spotted this insulation up against the felt. 1970's property.

I believe the insulation needs to be removed, but my main concern is the potential mould and damage to the timber.

Has anyone seen this before? Any advice would be most welcome as we're going for a second viewing soon! Thank you :)
1000029361.jpg
1000029360.jpg
1000029364.jpg

Sponsored Links
Removing it won't be difficult. You won't know what's going on with the timber until you remove it.
You could keep it in the loft, lay it over the existing ceiling level insulation. Toasty!

Check there is a gap at the eaves for ventilation and for any damp insulation as that is where any conensation bewteen rafer and felt will end up.

Sponsored Links
It's cosy felt, an older product with about 25mm of fluff stuck on it ..
Not used it in years
Ah thank you! It's a 70's built house. Doesn't it cause condensation at the rafter level? I presume it bitumen felt?

Its basically type 1f felt which is bitumen based ..the fluff is stuck to it. I wouldn't say it caused condensation but can appear that way as the insulation can become sodden the same as any other inadequate insulation . The condensation is from poor insulation , poor ventilation , poor extraction and requires a life style change often

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back