Unusual waste pipe size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to slightly modify the outside waste pipe from my sink which discharges to the drain surround that is less than ideal in that over time it has corroded away the concrete surround. I thought it was 40mm solvent weld and just want to angle it away with a 130 deg bend attached. I thought it would be cheaper and easier with a compression fitting which I understood should still go over 40mm solvent weld. But it won't. The OD seems to be ~44mm a fraction too much. The pipe could easily be over 20 years old or more but it is fixed tight through the wall and frankly isn't worth the hassle changing it inside where of course there have been more modern fittings. Thoughts? ideas?

Sponsored Links
44mm? Iirc Push fit is 41mm and solvent weld is 43mm, so a compression fitting should work, only other size it could be perhaps is 50mm.

Well a 40mm compression fitting won't go over it but it is no more than 0.5mm too big in diameter. I haven't tried an actual solvent fitting because I don't have any solvent at the moment but might be cheapest answer to see if a solvent weld fitting will go over it then get some solvent. It's definitely not 50mm. When did solvent weld first become available? I remember it at work in the 70's so this could easily be over 50 years old. Maybe non-standard? I suppose I could literally botch it anyway via duct tape because it is outside, out of site under drain cover and virtually a vertical drop so any leaks would be trivial and drop in the drain anyway!

Sponsored Links
I've found another old piece of plastic weld and it has a circumference of 130mm, diameter which calculates at 41.8 mm which is indeed the expected 42mm. The solvent welded outlet pipe has a circumference of 135mm which gives diameter of 43 mm so therein lies the issue as i suspected. So I need a pushfit, solvent weld or compression elbow that will go over a 43mm pipe !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back