Unvented boiler / expansion vessel leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm new to the forum so apologies in advanced for any omitted information. I am not a plumber.

I have an unvented boiler (Titan Flowmaster) and noticed this evening that the expansion tank was leaking. I immediately shut off the water at the mains and ran the hot water in the bath until the water stopped. My understanding being that this process is draining water from the boiler and therefore the expansion vessel. I also turned the boiler T&P valve to drain further.

Not sure if it's important but I noticed the water being leaked from the expansion vessel was a rusty colour. Although this could simply have been discoloured through exiting the vessel. Tap water is clear.

I've also noticed that pressure bar, which should be about 3bar, is at 0bar. There's two indicators/hands within the pressure reader. Red hand at 3bar and a black hand at 0bar.

Can anyone advise what I should do next, aside from calling a G3 qualified plumber? Any idea roughly what cost I'm looking at. I see a replacement expansion vessel is around £50-60 - assuming that's the problem.

Many thanks
D

Sponsored Links
Can you take some photos? I think you might have more than one problem

Can you take some photos? I think you might have more than one problem

Sure, see attached.
Also just noticed the red hand on the pressure gauge is at 1bar not 3bar.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 516
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 284
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 284
Sponsored Links
You could increase the system pressure to put the black pointer at or close to 1.0 bar.

There will probably be a knob for that at the other end of the flexible silver hose.

But there seems to be rusty water on the floor too.

Then call a G3 to sort out the problems with the cylinder.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back