Unvented cylinder in house with low water pressure

Just quickly scanned this post so apologies if I've missed something. If your boiler is solid fuel you can't run an unvented cylinder from it.

Sponsored Links
MCH

How big is your water accumulator? If it is the standard small unit designed for expansion relief in your unvented cylinder, it won't augment flow.

You need to be looking at an acc well over 200 litres volume to make it worthwhile.

Dr Drivel has been banned from this site but can still be found saying the same old rubbish on the Screwfix site under the name Water Systems.

You are unlikely to get his proper name and address as he is retired and keeps that secret.

He originally said he was in Surrey but later changed that to London.

Tony

ADVERTISING REMOVED BY MODERATOR

Spam Spam Spam Spam

Before it gets removed can I remind Mr Cooper we have been fitting Accumulators for 40 years, and no way in a million years would we fit an overpriced GAH products.

There are just as good accumulators on the markets at half the price.

Perhaps we could Point Mr Cooper to the forum rules.

Sponsored Links
I dont see any reason why that posting should be removed. Its helpful for manufacturers to give advice on their products.

However, following the pasting that Simon D got in the past about accumulators its a brave person who sticks his head above the parapet again.

Tony

Forum rules for starters Tony.

Bad advice for seconds Tony.

If MCH cannot get a decent water system at over 4 bar pressure without the need for an accumulator not to mention 2 accumulators, then something is seriously wrong with the installation.

I dont think that MCH has much understanding of accumulators as he says he has one on his heating system!

I would be interested to hear just how much useful water Mr Cooper thinks a 200 litre accumulator will give on a 2 Bar static supply at 10 li/min at 1 Bar dynamic pressure with a demand of 20 li/min.

Tony

Interesting thread. Since when have accumulators been patented? Does this mean only one company's accumulators can be fitted only buying them off one company. Accumulators have been around for years and many companies make them.

I am confused a little.

An accumulator used as an top up vessel for an old or problematic heating system works very well indeed.

Interesting thread. Since when have accumulators been patented? Does this mean only one company's accumulators can be fitted only buying them off one company. Accumulators have been around for years and many companies make them.

I am confused a little.

Don't worry about it, it only applies to their product.

An accumulator used as an top up vessel for an old or problematic heating system works very well indeed.

Its much better to deal with the leak rather than fit an accumulator!

Most bodgers fit a pressure reducing valve to feed the heating rather that an accumulator.

As far as MHP is concerned I think he is confusing his expansion vessel on the heating with a accumulator as such!

Tony

Not always possible Tony, it could take years to locate a small leak on a large system, old system where the pipes are burried in ducts and in floors etc would be near impossible to find.

We fitted one in a school and the vessel needed charging once a year with its service.

There appears to a lot of confusion regarding accumulators, mostly with some people thinking the have them on the heating system, this is an expansion vessel and has nothing to do with the patent, to clear things up the following is exactly how things are at present regarding accumulators:- The patent is not on the accumulator as there are many manufacturers, the patent is on the application, if you use an accumulator to boost the water flow in any way this is protected by the patent and is iilegal to use anything but the authorised product.

This is all new to me and sounds rather odd. People have used accumulators as a water store and flow booster for many years. When did this patent come in? He said 8 to 9 years. If that is the case how can they get a patent for a way of doing something not a product? If I fit an accumulator on a low flow mains pipe I need to use their product which is overpriced according to people here. Is this so? This sounds mad. I have only ever fitted two and one was about 20 years ago. If I have been fitting them before their patent was granted so I must be exempt. It is like patenting the the way you use a paint brush not the brush itself. This patent can't stand up in court. I might patent skipping and all parents will have to pay me a royalty.

Am I right?

Anyone, and many have for years and years, can put a check valve on the mains stop tap, put in tee and run a 22mm pipe to an accumulator. It is that simple, a DIY job. Sizing it up is that you half it. A 400 litre stores 200 litres of cold water. I would like to see this patent stand up in a court. The patent office was negligent in granting it.

Even this pump booster should not be patented. Maybe only a packaged product? Not sure. A patent is granted to unique ideas. An accumulator is not one. I will continue to use them and await a summons. I'll contest this one and I'm sure they will lose. It sounds like a shark move to me to even try to patent an accumulator.

Maybe I should patent shovels. I will then be a billionaire in a few years.

Can the Patent office made to reassess these patents? If so this should be looked at in depth. This is sheer madness. How can a government agency support the likes of these people.

Maybe I should patent the gas boiler too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back