Unvented cylinder in house with low water pressure

Sponsored Links
The booster system does work too - argue all you like, I will still be fitting them. I have found Darren Cooper to be an honest heating industry professional, and we have known him for some years.

Is there a web site explaining how they boost the pressure by a pump? The more I think of a pump, I think of a tank and pump set. A pump on an accumulator tends to defeat the point of one.

And to be pedantic, an accumulator can boost the working pressure of an unvented system, which is the only type of pressure you can have a shower under.

Only if you use a pump. The static pressure can be boosted as it heats up, then drops like a stone when you open a tap.

I wouldn't pay much attention to what Simond has to say on this BigBurner.
He will just rattle on and on and on.............His company has vested interests in the product.
GAH incidentally are not interested in lawing anyone so feel free to install as many accumulators as you wish.

You will find more of his nonsense here..........
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68557&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Enjoy. ;)
His credibility on this forum was well up the scale recently.
Now its just dropped to zero with a thud. :(

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't pay much attention to what Simond has to say on this BigBurner.
He will just rattle on and on and on.............His company has vested interests in the product.
GAH incidentally are not interested in lawing anyone so feel free to install as many accumulators as you wish.

You will find more of his nonsense here..........
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68557&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Enjoy. ;)

I will keep fitting them if I have too. If this GAH took someone to court I would contribute a £100 to the lawyers fees of whoever opposes them. It would be worth most plumbing companies offering £100 to stop this sort of rip off that compromises our business.

It might be worth writing the the patients office for a review of the application, because I can prove they are not an original design.

Interesting thought :LOL:

It might be worth writing the the patients office for a review of the application, because I can prove they are not an original design.

Interesting thought :LOL:

I looked at the threads on this patent and there is reams on it. Too much reading. I don't know what the patent specifically applies to.

Alpha are pushing a small pressurised thermal store to make a combi do multi bathrooms.
http://www.alpha-boilers.co.uk/products/?id=1046

In fact the thermal store can be bought separately and used on similar combis. I thought a high flow combi could have an accumulator hitched up in a similar way to boost flows in poor flow areas. It would solve many problems. Smart packages are well worth it for installers. Does this patent prevent companies from packaging this sort of thing up? If so we are losing out.

The Grundfos home booster looks a good idea for combi's and the likes, but don't know if noise is a problem.

Big Burner wrote;

Only if you use a pump. The static pressure can be boosted as it heats up, then drops like a stone when you open a tap.

I said that working pressure can be boosted by an accumulator. I even put it in italics to avoid confusion. It is simple physics, I don't see how you can argue. I did not say that accumulators boost static pressure. Those with an elementary grasp of plumbing will understand the difference.

And yes, Big Burner, you can fit them to any combis. We have been doing it for years while other plumbers discuss break tanks and pumps. In the last month we have enabled customers to have 2 Worcester 440s and a Vaillant 937 in low flow areas.

As for losing credibility, if you only knew how many customers we have fitted accumulators for as a result of this site, Doitall. Perhaps I have gone down in your estimation, but I can live with that.

So far none of our installed base, some having found us through this site, have come back to say that it didn't work.

As for vested interests, I have no more in GAH than with Vaillant, Bosch, Buderus, Broag, Viessmann, Nibe, TCWS, Kidd, Velta and ACV. In so far that we recommend and fit their products and believe in their quality.

There is no other vested interest. With the accumulators I post here because of the total IGNORANCE that is passed off as fact by some posters. Its like a Wikipedia written by a village idiot sometimes on here.

Big Burner wrote;

I said that working pressure can be boosted by an accumulator. I even put it in italics to avoid confusion. It is simple physics, I don't see how you can argue. I did not say that accumulators boost static pressure. Those with an elementary grasp of plumbing will understand the difference.

I think I know what you mean. The working pressure will never be higher than the static, as others had said.

And yes, Big Burner, you can fit them to any combis. We have been doing it for years while other plumbers discuss break tanks and pumps. In the last month we have enabled customers to have 2 Worcester 440s and a Vaillant 937 in low flow areas.

They can boost flow on any mains pressure system. The last I fitted was in a loft conversion with an Alpha CD50 combi.the accumulator and combi took no more space than a normal cylinder and boiler and simpler to fit in, and cheaper overall as well.

So far none of our installed base, some having found us through this site, have come back to say that it didn't work.

They work we all know that. I don't know what you charge but most here say you are very expensive. All these people have to do is look around, but few normal domestic plumbers know about accumulators as it a niche market.

There is no other vested interest. With the accumulators I post here because of the total IGNORANCE that is passed off as fact by some posters. Its like a Wikipedia written by a village idiot sometimes on here.

Accumulators are simple to fit, so easy it is a DIY job, and to size up just half the volume to get the water volume. What can be complicated about that? I try to fit them garages because of condensation on the outside. As long as the pipes are well lagged they will not freeze in a British climate. It takes a long time to freeze that volume of water and once it moves freezing is lessened.

You're still wrong, working pressure cannot be boosted, assisted, maintained, sustained, its the volume that is boosted, more water, quicker ring any bells.

We have argued the increasing the mains pressure topic before, and still you insist it will. Well it won't and I made that quite clear, so if you're going for a play on words, don't bother it's all on record.

As for losing credibility, if you only knew how many customers we have fitted accumulators for as a result of this site, Doitall. Perhaps I have gone down in your estimation, but I can live with that

I don't play school games, you have an opinion and so have I, so where did I suggest or say that

I think I know what you mean. The working pressure will never be higher than the static, as others had said.

It's simond that insisted that it will BigBurner.

We all know they will sustain the flow and in most cases improve it

You're still wrong, working pressure cannot be boosted, assisted, maintained, sustained, its the volume that is boosted, more water, quicker ring any bells.

John, without wanting to take part in another rerun of the previous argument, I think there is a fundamental misdescription of the situation!

What ( I think ) Simon is trying to say is that an accumulator will boost the working pressure over what it would otherwise be when water is used!

An example is called for!

No acc. and if 10 li/min is taken from the mains then the dynamic pressure will fall to say 0.3 Bar.

Fit an accumulator and take 10 li/min and the dynamic pressure is "boosted" to say 1 Bar. With 4 li/min from the store and 6 li/min from the mains.

I hope you both agree thats the case because I am not going to get involved any more!

Tony

You cannot boost the pressure Tony.

An accumulator will sustain the existing pressure, and up to a point increase the flow rate.

Tony

That is absolutely what I mean, thank you.

Big Burner said:

they work we all know that. I don't know what you charge but most here say you are very expensive.

I have never given a price for a job on this forum. When I first joined the forum I ruffled a few feathers about accumulators and some of the regulars laid into me.

They used a whole plethora of insults, of which 'expensive' was probably the most positive! As it happens, I probably do charge more than some on here.

Because I'm worth it. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back