Unvented cylinder, is this too much and how to get quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am planning on replacing my vented cylinder with a high pressure system.

I could fit a thermal store myself but would rather have an unvented so need a pro fitter.

Tried to get people round for quotes, but the only ones who turned up so far are british gas. I think it's because I just need a straight swap of cylinder with no boiler (as my boiler is 2 years old) so there is not much opportunity to make money. Other than the cupboard being only 65cm square, it should be a simple fit.

BG quoted 1500 to fit a 180l single coil Range tribune HE. I've seen how much I can buy them on the web so this seems really expensive, is it?

What should I be saying to people to get them in the door to give me quotes?

Sponsored Links
have you measured your cold water mains flow rate? Did BG?
Yes that quote is expensive, but then BG always are. Its always best to get someone from recomendation if you can. Other than that the CIPHE website will give you details of operatives near to you that hold the unvented qualification.

Hate to disagree but i don't think 1500 is excessive. On the high side maybe but not excessive. New electrics, G3 requirements, tight cupboard.......maybe 1-1.2k

Sponsored Links
Hate to disagree but i don't think 1500 is excessive.
maybe 1-1.2k

thats more than a days labour difference(for most people anyway), so I would say thats agreement!

Doesn't matter how you dress it up, its a days labour and a cylinder. Maybe an extra half a day depending on discharge but no more.

I too think that is remarkably good for BG :eek:

1.5 days labour =£450

Cylinder, materials and all plus VAT, not far out at all I think.

aye, i've measured the flow rate and pressure and BG did it when they came round, is suitable for an unvented.

The price was 1500 including vat.

Then thats a good quote. You will hear a lot of bad things about bg on hear. Some of em correct some just because their big and an easy target......that said, they will always be there tomorrow unlike some smaller firms....you pay your money and you takes your choice.....

Then thats a good quote. You will hear a lot of bad things about bg on hear. Some of em correct some just because their big and an easy target......that said, they will always be there tomorrow unlike some smaller firms....you pay your money and you takes your choice.....

Three houses in my row have recently had new boilers as have my parents in banbury.
3 BG 1 Private.

All the BG jobs were reasonably priced and all were happy with the installation.

No 4 were happy but i think cost somewhat more.

I have seen all 4 and standards were good.

Some of the private quotes were twice the BG quotes, and there was some messing about with appointments.

Main complaint about BG was some messing about with appointments for recalls/service calls.

I want a new boiler and am giving BG first refusal provided they can fit the boiler i want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back