Unvented cylinder to improve shower performance in flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've just moved to a new flat and have trouble with the shower performance.

I've currently got a fortic combination unit, and economy 7 electric. so the hot water heats up overnight. The cold water is taken from the mains and the hot from the tank, so from the taps the hot water pressure is really low and the cold water comes out really quickly.

With the shower, even first thing in the morning, I can't have a decent shower (ie hot water for more than 2 mins) without putting the booster on the tank for 30 mins or so before hand. Even then the shower runs out of hot water within 4 mins or so, but hot water still comes out of the taps even after the shower has run out.

There is a salamander pump installed but whether it's on or off doesn't seem to make any difference.

I've been recommended to change the water tank to an unvented cylinder one which I'm told will mean a longer hot shower. Any ideas? Recommendations? Advice?

Many thanks!!

Sponsored Links
but hot water still comes out of the taps even after the shower has run out.

Sounds more like the problem is with your shower mixer than with the supply of hot water, or maybe the pressures from the hot and cold at the shower are unbalanced. Do you know what make your shower is?

Just noticed the combination cylinder: and the fact it's a flat, so your hot water pressure is going to be very low, with an extremely small head of water for the shower. In this situation, that pump needs to be suitable for a negative head - can you check the model (e.g. ESP 80 CPV single).

An unvented cylinder would certainly give you high-pressure hot water at all outlets.

I'm not sure what make the shower is - it doesn't have a name on it - it's just a silver lever handle tiled in to the wall.

the pump that I've got is a salamander pump SKU ID CT 50+, but using it doesn't seem to make any difference to the amount of hot water, just the pressure...

I'm not clear on how your shower is plumbed, since that CT50 pump is suitable for positive head, low pressure stored hot & cold water, but you say all your cold water is mains. Also your combination cylinder would not give good (if any) pressure to a shower head in a one-storey flat.

Might be better to get someone to have a good look at your set up and work out what's going on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back