1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Unvented Cylinder vs. Combi

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Ash D, 26 Oct 2020.

1. whall3y

whall3y

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oh no, you have opened that other can of worms....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Ash D

Ash D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry. Put it down to being a newbie!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rad1o

Rad1o

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We had a gravity feed loft tank and 2 shower pumps and went to a vented hot water cylinder with 160L when we installed a hot water solar panel system. We have mains pressure and just a thermostatic mixer for both bathroom and ensuite shower. This was done a few years ago and we "only" have a copper hot water cylinder which "only" takes 3 bar - steel cylinders go much higher without pressure reducing. We kept our heat only boiler. This is in a 6 bed house with 2 bathrooms and 16 radiators.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. durhamplumber

durhamplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Correct.But definetly a first world problem..Worst case your shower goes cold for max 30secs...Not major.

6. durhamplumber

durhamplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As said.not major!...lose h/w for less than a minute.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Consider the medical conditions that cold shock can invoke in a person.

9. whall3y

whall3y

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Right that's it I'm replacing my new combi... it was bad enough with the toilet refusing to flush when the missus is in the shower, now I'm living in fear of Hydrocution.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If someone is in the shower and runs another tap or flushes the toilet the water pressure drops and you either get burnt or sudden shock of cold. Same happens if running a hot tap.

It might not happen or at least to the same extent with a thermostatic shower but the flow of water drops significantly and in a busy household it will be very annoying.

I've had a combi boiler in the past and my parents, my brother's, friends, and they all been the same.

In the op's case a combi boiler is not the correct solution.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2020
  11. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    @Ash D unfortunately you have opened a real can of worms with this subject.

Each type of advanced hot and cold water system has its own merits, interpretations and implementations and you will always get a whole load of mixed advice and advocates for each type when you visit a public forum, some good and some not so good and some downright mental.

The key for you is what is achievable for your circumstances, taking into consideration what is currently available (mains supply, current system, etc), what the site layout is like, ease of installation, costs and in my view the most important - your personal requirements.

That I'm afraid really needs someone who is non partisan, who has broad certified experience with advanced hot and cold water systems and can be onsite and perform a detailed survey. They can then advise on the merits and downfalls of each system applicable to your situation (invariably that can be more than one type or a mixture of types).

I appreciate it maybe more difficult to get a professional at the moment but this is a complex piece of work that you want to get right from the start and not get taken in a million different confusing directions. I really would wait until someone recommended can visit, if at all possible.

• Like Like x 3