Unvented pressure release into sink waste pipe - smelly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, we had an unvented cylinder fitted last year and every now and then our en suite would fill up with bad smells. We located this to the pipe that comes out of the unvented cylinder which has a tundish on it. The problem here is that this pipe drains into the sink waste. As a result sewer smells are penetrating the room. The smells go away if cap this pipe off but this is not safe of course, however neither is sewer stink !!

Has the plumber cocked up here ? does this pipe need some kind of valve on it ? or does it need to be disconnected from the sink waste and fed directly outside ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You were given the answer to this when you posted about it 2 months ago...

Incorrect. That thread was about identifying where the smell was coming from. My last post on that thread was "how do I get this fixed" and the thread died right there. So I have created another without all of the guff, focusing on how to resolve it. Care to contribute positively ?

The discharge needs to be a dedicated pipe with no other appliances connected into it before it reaches the stack. It must be run in high temperature resistant pipe, via a dry trap such as a HepVo with a tundish adapter on it

Sponsored Links
Item 2 the visible air break is your tundish
Item 3 the 75 mm trap is what would have prevented sewer gas coming out of the tundish had the installer fitted it.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-8_9-37-22.png
    upload_2019-5-8_9-37-22.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 662
Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 163961

Item 2 the visible air break is your tundish
Item 3 the 75 mm trap is what would have prevented sewer gas coming out of the tundish had the installer fitted it.

Wrong again Bernie - this is the discharge arrangement for a boiler condensate pipe. The OP is asking about the arrangement for an unvented cylinder discharge, which is very definitely not to be installed in the manner described in your post

@muggles thank you. I will look into having a go myself as this seems relatively simple. If not I will get the plumber back.

Cheers.

Fair point. I will get him back.

Is he g3? I'd be surprised if he is, as doing something wrong when you should know better is often worse than doing something you don't know!

Wrong pipe for discharge can cause a lot of problems...
IMG_20190128_153204.jpg

IMG_20190128_152212.jpg

Last edited:
It said G3 on his card and it was in date. Not good either way.

It said G3 on his card and it was in date. Not good either way.

Before Bernard pipes in (scuze the pun)... No! That is not good either way and I'd ask your fitter why he thought it would be OK to do that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back