Unvented Training Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, a customer asked me to install an unvented hw cylinder. I couldn't, because I don't have the necessary ticket. I really struggled to find someone with the G3 cert, to give the work to. Even asking plumbers that I knew who have been in the industry for decades drew blanks.

That got me wondering if there is a shortage of unvented qualified plumbers?

Also, many colleges and 'training establishments' (yes, I know :rolleyes: ) offer one day training and certification. Is it really possible to be conversant with unvented and certified (not as insane!) in a single day.

Your views, sensible or otherwise, would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
You could easily do the training and pass the assessment in a few hours.

There might be a shortage of plumbers with a G3 ticket but no shortage of "unvented installers" ;)

if you are a competant plumber it is an easy day out, 99% of it relates to safety. 3-4hrs training then assessment.

The exam itself is open book, with about 20 odd questions, it has one section which is closed book and involves identifying the safety components of an unvented system, from a diagram, 1.5hrs in total for the whole exam.

I'm a competent plumber, but know very little about unvented. Can I learn what I need to do a safe and efficient install in half a day?

Sponsored Links
I'm a competent plumber, but know very little about unvented. Can I learn what I need to do a safe and efficient install in half a day?

You probably know most of it already you'd have no trouble passing.

When i took this course as part of my bpec solar the Taxi driver , fireman and salesman on the same course all passed?

I was recently told (in a pub though) that they are doing away with G3. Has anyone else heared this?

Or was it just bar b***ox ? ;) Mine expires next year.

Cheers

They won't do away with them, they may tie it in with other regs but certainly won't scrap it.

Did mine two days ago. As I remarked elsewhere its a lot of money for what it is. I've been asked to quote on a couple so that why I did it.

Its is changing, but i've no idea what the changes will be or when.

Alfredo

if your a competant plumber and can install heating systems - not just join pipes then you can easily get your unvented and install confidently - if your a taxi driver and pass it then you'll struggle with the install but will know the safety aspects of it....

unvented ticket is a sham imo - you should have to produce your qualifications in plumbing to a nvq level 3 standard and the unvented to be allowed to install - the same as a lot of plumbing qualifications - some people get the tech certs and go out and jump in the deep end - ive got the upmost respect for people trying to get into the trade but theres a way of doing it - and shouldnt be taking paid jobs on theyre not qualified to do so- especially unvented and gas jobs.

Sponsored Links
Back