Unvented twin appliance waste connection - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new rental house, the washing machine needed a repair on moving in and clearly hasn't been used much. Once the repair was complete, two washes in I had a flooded kitchen floor.

Pulled the washer out to find the waste connection had popped off (which is attached to a Y adaptor sealed to the top of the standpipe) . I put it back on (no clip or jubilee, just a fairly mediocre strength push fitting) and restarted. 2 minutes later the same flood of water happened and the connection had popped off again.

Can you have a look at the picture and tell me if this is right? The standpipe is sealed at the top with the two connections into it from the dishwasher and the washing machine. I would have thought the connector popping off was a result of the connector not being vented? Does it need replacing with a vented viking hat? I could just put a jubilee clip on the connector, but if the Y adaptor should be vented I should shout out to my landlord to get a plumber in to sort it properly.

Attachments

• IMG_20180811_231025059.jpg
    IMG_20180811_231025059.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 416
Sponsored Links
If it has worked ok before & is not blocked up then I would have thought that securing it with a clip should be ok, although I am not into plumbing regulations, there may be something about preventing syphoning between appliances that you need to consider. Perhaps the plumbing section would be more helpful if you get no answer here. I also wonder if it would be a problem for both machines to be working at the same time.

A vented fitting is required :idea: Mcalpine V33WM Although the rest of the drain run has to be installed correctly and not partially blocked.

Also the V33WM spigots may need to be cut to ensure a tight hose fit. Jubilee clips can be used if there is any chance of the hose parting company with the spigot. Tbh use jubilee clips,peace of mind.

Easy job :cautious:

A vented fitting is required :idea: Mcalpine V33WM Although the rest of the drain run has to be installed correctly and not partially blocked.

Also the V33WM spigots may need to be cut to ensure a tight hose fit. Jubilee clips can be used if there is any chance of the hose parting company with the spigot. Tbh use jubilee clips,peace of mind.

Easy job :cautious:

Thanks - the standpipe looks ok. It looks like a washing machine standpipe that it has been decided to use that for the dishwasher instead of hooking the dishwasher into the sink which is next door to the other side.

When you say a vented fitting is required, what are the problems associated with this setup?

Sponsored Links
When you say a vented fitting is required, what are the problems associated with this setup?
Its really a job for your landlord to sort out any plumbing problems behind the appliances,hopefully they will send an approved plumber who will be able to inspect the installation and adapt as necessary. There may be other solutions :idea: but onsite investigation is required.

Still an easy job :cautious:

Indeed. I wanted to ensure I was on firm enough ground to make clear the current setup needs to be looked at. Having further investigated, it would appear the kitchen sink and this standpipe are both draining into a rainwater soakaway outside the house so I think a more major problem might exist! it's either a soakaway or a very clogged exterior drain - it's certainly not attached to a major waste pipe, of which there are a few running down outside the house, just straight into an opening outside the kitchen which has a guttering downpipe outlet into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back