washine machine waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just connected a new washing machine and the waste pipe is connected to the standpipe at the correct level. However when I push the washing machine back into place there is a length of excess waste pipe that coils up behind the machine. Is this a problem and might it cause issues discharging all the waste water?
thanks.

Sponsored Links
You mean the hose on the back the machine, have pushed this as far down the rigid plastic 40mm waste pipe as much as you can?
If so you may get a little stagnant water in any loops in the hose, but majority will be pumped out.

Do not push the drain hose fully into the stand pipe.
There needs to be an air gap between the end of the drain hose and the water level in the plumbing stand pipe, otherwise you can get a syphoning effect, which is water being sucked back into the washing machine.

A small grey curved pipe support would have come with the washing machine. Use this, this will ensure not too much drain hose runs into the drain pipe.

As for having a spare loop of drain hose hanging around at the back of the washing machine. That isn't a problem and means the washer can be fully removed from its housing and tested fully by any visiting service engineers without having to pull the drain hose out of the standing pipe. Longer than standard fill hoses are also advisable for the same reason if the fill hoses pass through cupboards etc

As above never push the drain pipe (outlet hose ) right down in the standpipe or it will back syphon and the dirty water will end up back in the machine !!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

The waste hose from the machine has a conical attachment on the end so it can only go 4 or 5 inches into the stand pipe.

When the machine is pushed into the recess the distance from where the hose needs to travel from the machine to the stand pipe is very short. However it is the extra length in the hose that means the waste water will have to travel further through a loop or however the hose coils itself behind the machine.

Was worried making the waste water go through an extra 'dip' or around an extra curve might eventually stop it clearing completly. If the waste hose was only exactly as long as it needed to be it wouldn't be possible to pull out the machine as Terox described.

Don't worry about it there is always standing water in the pipe & pump housing anyway. As long as it's not kinked the flow will not be obstructed. As long as the machine is regularly used or you do a service wash occasionally you won't get any problems.

The washing machine pump is designed to work with the length of drain hose that the appliance comes with. It is only when kitchen fitters extend this by coupling 2 drain hoses together that problems can arise.

I thought that washing machines had to be approved and are already fitted with integral backflow prevention by design.

I thought that washing machines had to be approved and are already fitted with integral backflow prevention by design.
Are you thinking of the anti syphon device on the input? Also some washers use the same pump for circulation & waste emptying so they need some form of valve.

I am talking about the appliance rather than inlet to it, I understood by design this feature should be part of the appliance.
So if there was an anti-syphon device integral to machine,
potable/wholesome water will/should not get contaminated. Would the water regulation legislate that it is not acceptable for the machine to suffer from back syphonage, bearing in mind my above understanding?
Or would other regulations then need to be considered regarding the waste of water?

The anti syphon device is built into the inlet manifold that feeds water into the drum so that foul water cannot feed back into cold water system, sorry if I wasn't clear about that. As has been previously said as long as the waste pipe is installed correctly it is impossible to draw in waste water because of the air gap between the pipe & the water in the stand pipe/sink trap.

it is impossible to draw in waste water because of the air gap between the pipe & the water in the stand pipe/sink trap.
Yes I totally understand that and not disputing the benefits, maybe I am being a bit anal, but if no 25mm air gap was left, would that contravene water regulations as by design an anti-syphon device is already in place and wholesome water cannot be contaminated. Even though the waste could syphon back to the drum.

I wouldn't have thought so, but perhaps it would be a good post for the plumbing section.

Just had a glance through the water regulation:
Washing Machines, washers-dryers and dishwashers
are covered by R15.16
Washing Machines, washers-dryers and dishwashers, for use in a single family houses/flats, and where the use is classed as domestic in other buildings are considered fluid category 3 risk and backflow protection against this level of risk is normally built into domestic type of machines.

Just had a glance through the water regulation:
Washing Machines, washers-dryers and dishwashers
are covered by R15.16
Washing Machines, washers-dryers and dishwashers, for use in a single family houses/flats, and where the use is classed as domestic in other buildings are considered fluid category 3 risk and backflow protection against this level of risk is normally built into domestic type of machines.
Yes, but it's on the input not the drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back