up hill washing machine waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks.
I would like to install a washing machine into a cupboard.
Thing is ill need to feed the waste under a raised wooden floor (under a door way) to tie in with wc sink waste the other side of the doorway.

Yeah I know, 1 in 40 drop, no going 'back up'. but...
what if i raise up the washing machine about 3 foot off the ground as per this diagram.

Im thinking this may be ok as the washing machine won't have to pump the water up, the pipe will act like one big u bend.

what do you think? silly idea or brilliant brainwave?

wm_waste.gif

Sponsored Links
I think you will have a lot of stale water sitting in your waste pipe in between washes.
:LOL:
Back to the drawing board I'm afraid.

Maybe you can move your washer nearer a drain.
:D

brian_the_dove said:
Yeah I know, 1 in 40 drop, no going 'back up'.
If you know it, then why are you proposing this?

brian_the_dove said:
Im thinking this may be ok as the washing machine won't have to pump the water up, the pipe will act like one big u bend.
The pump is there to pump - why do you want to save it that job? And there's not such thing as "one big u bend". There are only small u bends, or big mistakes.

brian_the_dove said:
what do you think? silly idea or brilliant brainwave?
Neither - it's just all wrong.

brian_the_dove said:
Hello folks.
I would like to install a washing machine into a cupboard.

That's going to have to be one hell of a strong cupboard. Washing machine + full load of wet washing+ spinning at 1200 rpm. :eek:

Sponsored Links
hmm...
wasn't too hopefull of a positive response.
back to the drawing board it is then bahco.

What if I didnt go 'back up' and found a way of getting rid of the water at ground level, it would mean a true horizontal run of about 2 - 2.5 meters with a possible 90 degree turn. :confused:

p.s. dont worry about the strength nstreet, its made of breeze block and i have some joist hangers at the ready!

Softus, as my mother used to say, if you havnt got anything constructive to say dont say anything at all.

Brian, I think your basic idea would work if you extend the washing machine outlet hose over the top of the doorway and then down to a suitable waste stand pipe and trap.

The hose extension could be similar hose or fixed pipework (22mm copper or plastic). An anti-vacuum valve may be necessary to stop the long drop on the hose acting as a syphon and sucking out the washing machine drum.

Where the extension hose/pipe passes over the doorway, it could be concealed with architrave or similar. It might even be possible to run the pipe within the ceiling above, depending on the direction of the joists.

Don't see what all the fuss is about.

I think it's a very good idea, it's a nice solution to the problem and would work - if you are worried about the 'stale' water, you could fit a trap at the same height as the outlet in the other room, don't think i'd bother though, what is a trap if not a collection of stale water anyway?

Another option is the fact that the washing machine has a quite powerful pump on it, I'd be prepared to bet that even with the washing machine at floor level it could pump the additional height - providing of course you are able to join to the flexy outlet pipe ok.

Hope this helps.

brian_the_dove said:
Softus, as my mother used to say, if you havnt got anything constructive to say dont say anything at all.
You have a point. I apologise. However, I feel compelled to point out impracticalities, but I'll find a more palatable way of doing it.

You can't go up and over without checking with the manufacturer. Two aspects - pump power and the amount of water which would backfill the WM when the pump goes off.

Your drawing shows where the existing waste pipe is for the basin. That's irrelevant, make a new hole! The floor will probably be above ground level so you may not have a problem.

ChrisR said:
You can't go up and over without checking with the manufacturer. Two aspects - pump power and the amount of water which would backfill the WM when the pump goes off.
The drawing shows the top of the machine level with the top of the doorway, so the "up and over" would be minimal and well within typical operating parameters.

you are all forgetting something;

the poor service engineer who has to fix the m/c its a bad idea being that high

over the doorway! of course, i cant believe i didnt think of it. chrishutt youre a genius. seems so obvious to me now. duh. - theres actually some pipes already running above the doorway that need boxing in anyway so that solution would work well.
so yeah the top of the washing machine would be roughly level with the top of the door and so it would need to pump about 6 - 12 inches up above the top of the machine in order to clear the doorway.
judging by some of the other posts pumping up about foot shouldnt be a problem is that right?
i guess i could just have plastic pipe running right into the cupboard above the doorway with a mini stand pipe of 6 inches or so in the cupboard?
or as sugested extend the flexi pipe and have it dropping into a 6' stand pipe in the wc, boxed in of course.
thanks everyone fore your help!

Outflow pipe on your drawing shows it to be half way up washer.Should be at least 27" high from bottom of washing machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back