UPBC window loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the white plastic beading on the exterior of our double glazed window has come a bit loose. Can this just be stuck back in place and if so, what would you recommend using? Or does it need replacing please?
I’ve attached a photo as my description isn’t very good.

Thank you

Jay

Attachments

• 0A0F5BA5-ABD0-4A59-ACC7-F9A7A8EFCE8A.png
    0A0F5BA5-ABD0-4A59-ACC7-F9A7A8EFCE8A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Those beads normally have an L shaped protrusion at the back and a ridge with a slight lip at the front. The back edge slots into a similar L on the window frame and the front of the bead then clips in. A slight compression keeps everything in plce

IMG_2753.jpeg

It looks like the front ridge has broken off your bead, so you may well need to replace it if you can find out what profile your window uses (if you remove the window it may be printed on the window frame)

Alternatively you can look to pin it in place with a small screw in the right place but I'd point out a couple of things;

1) it's possible that the plastic has degraded and become brittle so you might cause further problems, and you might also experience similar bead breakages in the future

2) this window appears to be beaded on the outside, which is something of a security risk - all that is needed to remove a pane of glass from this window and gain easy, silent access to the house is to lever the beads off with a scraper or wood chisel. You might consider changing the window out for one that is beaded internally

Last edited:
That was my first thought, the beading was on the wrong side.
Sadly, for the OP, the whole window, and any others in the same way round, really needs taking out and reversing to the correct orientation. You may have problems with your insurance if burglars get in by removing the trim and glass.
As atemporary measure, you could try a squirt of super glue to keep it in place and remove the visual signs.

That was my first thought, the beading was on the wrong side.
Sadly, for the OP, the whole window, and any others in the same way round, really needs taking out and reversing to the correct orientation.
I'm afraid you make it sound as if the window has been installed the wrong way around.
Many uPVC windows have external beading - early ones do pose a security risk, whereas modern ones have an interior wedge gasket, that must be extracted, before the beading can be removed.
Simply reversing a window, that is meant to be externally beaded, could cause issues with water ingress.

In this case, it does appear as if the beading is damaged/decayed, and if lucky, could be matched and replaced.

Sponsored Links
Thanks RG. I'm not up on modern styles to be honest.

Many years ago, mid 80's I think, there was a lot of re-modernisations going on in Liverpool. A house around the corner from me was having new windows installed and, because it was one of the birthday of one of the builders, they all scarpered off to the pub for the afternoon leaving 2 apprentices/labourers to fit the windows. Standard type wood frame with a top transom. Now, I don't know if you are old enough, but when I went to primary school, we had windows which had a small section at the bottom, which opened inwards to let fresh air in but keep the rain out.

Well these guys left behind fitted 2 windows upstairs in the bedrooms and one at gf level for the lounge. Only problem was, they fitted them upside down and inside out! So, the transom was at the bottom, (acting like the ones in school many years before), however they had the transom opening outwards. End of the afternoon and they lock up and go home, (the others were still in the pub), but they had left the two bedroom windows open, which merely acted like a bucket and collected the rainwater that fell that night after they had gone home. The following morning saw the windows being taken out and the lounge and hall ceilings being ripped back down where the rain had got through the floorboards and soaked the plasterboards.

Agree about the bevel on the outside...I had a couple like that in my old house. Fortunately they were on the upper floor. Glue them in if need to keep them. Gorilla glue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back