Upvc beading adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a property that has upvc windows. The windows are split half and half with beading that has been stuck on with some sort of double sided tape. I've noticed a few are a bit loose so just wondering what the best tape is to fix them back on as what the window manufacturer used is clearly not up to scratch.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they are ' astragal bars ' , stuck on bars to make the bigger pane look like smaller panes of glass , like old Georgian windows. The sun is a right bugger for melting the adhesive these are stuck on with. Found the best way in the past is to scrape all the old adhesive off, apply a double sided foam adhesive to the bar. Now the important bit , clean off all the residue from the glass unit, clean the window thoroughly. now apply super glue to the side of the foam strip that adheres to the glass, and then spray the glass with superglue ' activator ' , where the bar will sit. Now place the bar on the window, all going well jobs a good un...did this on some Blue windows that all the bars fell of off about 6 months after installation due to extreme heat , currently all bars are still on the windows 2 years later ( praying they are going to stay that way as there was a lot of bars ! )

Sponsored Links
Right ok astragal bars, yes they can be a bit of a nightmare once the sun softens the glue, thing is you need something that's going to expand and contract otherwise they'll keep popping off. For a while now I've been using the clear acrylic gel tape apparently made for astragal bars and never had any bars pop off since, not cheap but I never have to go back so it pays for itself, keep away from the foam based neoprene tapes, they're good but not a patch on gel tape
IMG_20210726_191239.jpg
IMG_20210726_191250.jpg
IMG_20210726_191323.jpg
IMG_20210726_191327.jpg

Last edited:
Where do you get that one from Crank? Used a gel in the past and had no end of issues with them damn things falling off!

Not sure to be honest, the company I worked for had insurance job come through for a full house in and out and they bought me a box full, probably 30 rolls, 5 years later I'm still using it for my own stuff. Google shows even Screwfix sell it now although we used reddiseals a lot so may have come from them

You can get double sided tape used to stick oven glass to oven door. Should not be affected by heat .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back